At Last

t.w. abusive relationship, manipulation, blood

kavi ( kirstie & avi )

"broken mornings, broken nights and broken days in between"

Kirstie was never too fond of parties. She only went because her boyfriend wanted her to. Today, especially, she just wanted to stay at home and rest, but he made her change her mind.

As she stepped foot into the house, her stomach churned at the hum of the alcohol infused walls. Taking a deep breath, she tried to get used to the stench, as she always does. She could at least try to make this night enjoyable.

Even though she walked in with her boyfriend, Evan, she had no idea where he ran off to. She sighed in relief, knowing that she wouldn't see him a lot if he had joined his friends.

Making her way to the couch, she sat down, taking everything in. The intense throb of the music shook the house. She watched as the bodies around her collided as if they were magnets controlled by music. That's alcohol for you. She thought.

"my heart still beats, my skin still feels. my lungs still breathe, my mind still fears''

She pulled out her phone, mindlessly scrolling through social media, trying to pass the time. No one ever interacted with her at parties unless she was around Evan. He always had someone to talk to seeing as he was the Dean's son. People were almost afraid to not speak to him.

While lost in the bright screen, Kirstie felt the couch dip suddenly, breaking her out of her trance. She furrowed her brows, trying to make out who the newcomer was. She only got glimpses of the man's face from the strobes that had been flashing.

"Um, hi!" She spoke up, trying to be heard over the music. Hopefully, she could make a friend.

"Hey! I haven't seen you here before." He said.

Kirstie shrugged, "Parties aren't really my thing."

"Yeah me neither, but I always come to take my friends home." He explained.

She nodded, unsure of what to say. Small talk made her extremely uncomfortable.

"Do you want to go outside and talk? This music is really giving me a headache." He asked.

"That would be great." She nodded. She would do anything if it meant leaving this dump.

Once they had made it outside, Kirstie rubbed her eyes. "Those lights are so annoying. I don't get the appeal."

The man chuckled, nodding. It was now that she could finally make out his features. She smiled, staring at his attire.

"You look like a lumberjack." She blurted, covering her mouth. "Oh! I'm sorry. I really don't have a filter." She trailed off.

He shook his head, laughing. "No, it's fine. I actually get that a lot."

She nodded, sticking her hands into her hoodie pocket. "So, what's your name?" She asked.