Love, Lies and Deceit

Merediths POV 

''Oh my god! It's Mark!? But if Mark was driving, then where's Lexie. They were on their honeymoon, why would they be apart?'' At this point, my heart is racing. Why isn't Lexie here with Mark? Was she in the car? Did she get thrown so far from the car in the accident they didn't find her? Is she dead? So many scenarios are running through my head. I feel almost.... numb, like i can't move, or speak. I try and shake the feeling off so I can actually understand what Link is saying. 

''I'm going to tell you so you don't have a heart attack, but Lexie is at a different hospital. I spoke with a doctor there and they told me she just got out of brain surgery.'' Link unwillingly responded 

''Oh god! Is she ok? What hospital is she at?'' Another long pause came from Link which worried Meredith. 

''Dillard. She's at Dillard Medical Centre. The place Derek almost died 6 years ago. 

''Are you KIDDING me! Get her transferred here NOW. She is my little sister, I am not having her die before I do.'' Meredith yelled while tears rolled down her cheeks. 

''She's on her way Meredith. I got her transferred, don't worry.'' trying to be reassuring.

I exhaled a sigh of relief. We stood there in silence for a few more seconds until I had a thought. More like a question. 

''Why haven't you told Derek.... that it's Mark and Lexie?'' I don't want to lie to Derek about who the patient is, because if he find out I knew and didn't tell him, he'll either be really grateful, or extremely hurt. 

''Because he was operating on him, and if I told him, it would have affected him emotionally. He would've said he was fine, but inside he would've been so scared. I didn't want how he was feeling, to reflect onto his surgical skills and him end up killing his best friend without realising. Do you get why I didn't tell him?

Link's explanation was justified, I couldn't even think of a reason to tell Derek. It made total sense, and I can't argue with that. I'm just worried Derek will get hurt by the fact that I didn't tell him. 

''I actually completely understand and agree. But I don't want to keep the secret, so if he asks if I know who the John Doe is, I'm going to tell him. I don't want to ruin my marriage. Is that alright?'' Hopefully Link understands. I mean, he's in a relationship too, maybe he can see where I'm coming from? One can only hope. 

''Yeah, I understand. It's not ideal, but you can tell him, if need be.''

''Thank you for understanding Link! Page me when Lexie arrives?''

''Of course, no problem.'' 

*3 hours later* *Lexie has just arrived at GSMH and Mark is awake* 

Derek's POV

''Hey Meredith! The John Doe is finally awake.'' Meredith looked over to me from the other side of the hall and started walking over. She is so beautiful, even after a long day at work.

''Oh great! How is he? How are you?'' As she plants a quick kiss on my lips.

 ''Everything seems normal, except he looks incredibly familiar, don't you think?''

''A little bit, but it might just be because of the injuries to his face.'' She replied hesitantly. Almost like she was hiding something. But why would she hide anything from me? I'm her husband, and the doctor for the patient, she should be telling if she knew something. 

''You know who he is, don't you.'' This was a long shot question. I either accused my wife of lying to me, or she might actually know something.

''I...I-I'' she was stuttering, something she did when she was nervous. '' Is the patient going to make it? I haven't checked his chart in a while''