"Kaykay,"

"Yeah?"

She pat the bed and I slid my shoes off, climbing into it with her. With her in my arms, I slowly rubbed her back and kissed her head, Ash letting her take the mask off.

"My chest...feels better,"

"Good,"

"I feel better,"

"I can go home,"

"Unfortunately not, but I will stay every night. If you aren't leaving this place then neither am I,"

"You should be, because this is work and not leaving work will suck,"

"She's right," Ashton chuckled, turning round as her monitor began to beep, "Holy shit,"

I felt her go limp in my arms and looked down in horror, her eyes rolling to the back of her head.

"Code blue!"

"What?"

"Kaykay, I need you to step back,"

"Isabelle, Isabelle please," I begged as several people rushed into the room.

"Charge to 200! Lewis get her away,"

He pulled me back and I lurched forward again, watching her body jolt.

"Charge to 250!"

"Kaykay, why don't we leave the room?"

"She's back, page Hemmings, and Deaton,"

"Hey darling," Ashton said quietly, looking in her eyes, "You're gonna be okay,"

"Kaykay,"

"She is right here, but she can't be your doctor,"

"Code blue?" Luke said, rushing in, "Look, I know you guys don't want this but I am taking her into surgery,"

"Okay, if you think that is best,"

Both him and Sierra looked at me and gave me a firm nod, Ashton starting to move the bed.

"You're not scrubbing in with us,"

"What?"

"I'm sorry, Ash, but I am not letting you in my operating room today. Someone page Hood. Lewis, wanna scrub in? Let Crystal know,"

"Yes!"

"Great. Page Juliet too, we need the best of the best,"

As they took her out, I fell into Ashton's arms and broke into sobs, clutching his scrubs. He squeezed me tightly and I began to struggle to breathe, making him rock me back and forth.

"They're gonna kill her,"

"They will do as much as she can handle, even if that means just removing what is pushing her lungs,"

"She said her lungs felt fine!"

"I suspect she was lying,"

"Can we watch?"

"No. Absolutely not,"

"Please,"

"No," he said, "No. you are going to go and do your rounds, and if anyone finds you in the gallery then I am gonna be upset,"

"Screw you,"

"Let them concentrate on the surgery without having your eyes trained on them. It's the least we could do,"

**

Luke approached me slowly. Cautiously, like I was a rabid animal who may pierce my teeth into him if he made a wrong move.

He put his file down beside me and I waited, looking directly at him.

"She is okay,"

"Let me see her,"

"Not yet," he said, grabbing my arm, "She is in a medically induced coma for a few days while her swelling goes down, then we are going back in to remove the rest in a couple of days. Her heart beat is strong but she is on assisted breathing and is wrapped up,"

"Where is Ash?"

"He's doing a write up, we had to remove one of her kidneys, but she will be okay,"

"My baby," I whispered, "My sweet little sister,"

"She is gonna be okay, and after this she can have more chemo,"

Crystal came over and pulled me into a hug, then Sierra came too, all of us huddled together. I broke into sobs and Crystal looped my arm through hers, taking us into an on call room.

I fell onto the bed and buried my head in the pillow, Crystal climbing on with me to hug me.

"She did brilliant in there. We didn't lose her once, you know?"

"And Luke and I managed to get all the mass irritating her breathing, and yes we had to remove a kidney, but she can live. Her uterus is really inflamed, that's what we are gonna go back in for. I thought I might have to remove it all but I really don't think that is the case now. She still won't be able to have a kid, but I know how much she loves to adventure, and will be grateful to be alive. She is alive, Kaykay, alive," Sierra said.

"What if it goes back up and stops her breathing again?"

"With chemo, that isn't likely. Now, for the next few days you are not going to work. You are gonna spend some time with her, but you are also gonna go home with Ash, and relax. We are taking care of her for the next few days, you need to take care of yourself,"

"I'm staying,"

"No you aren't. You're gonna go home and recover yourself, because she needs all of you to be with her for the next couple of weeks. Every single part of your attention,"

"I am seeing her before I go home,"

"That's fair, but stay in here for now. Or  join me on my rounds," Crystal said, "All I know is that you need time off for yourself, your patients, and your little sister,"