The Final Verse

Aliana jolted awake, a cold sweat trailing down her spine. She took deep calming breaths. She'd managed to suppress a scream, but she'd jostled Annabeth as she'd woken up. Her and Annabeth were sleeping on the floor in the living room and Percy had taken the bedroom so he could have some privacy.

Annabeth sat up slowly, rubbing her eyes. "What's wrong?"

Aliana didn't answer. She just stared at the wall with wide eyes.

"It was another nightmare, wasn't it." Annabeth deduced.

Aliana finally looked at her, her eyes glassy. She barely managed to nod, her mind still racing with the terrifying scenes.

A dark figure had blocked out the sun and overshadowed camp. It ushered in a splitting cold along with it. She'd felt it cut to the bone and sink into her chest, making it hard to breathe. She couldn't move as she'd watched a horde of monsters overrun the cabins, the dining hall, the Big House. Half-bloods fought for their lives, quickly losing ground against the endless onslaught of monsters. She'd tried to scream, to move, anything. All she'd managed to do was make her whole body shake.

Finally, when the damage was beyond repair, the chill had released her and she'd collapsed to her hands and knees. Someone stood before her. Looking up, she'd found Percy standing over her. Cuts had marred his face and blood stained his shirt. She'd pushed herself to her feet and met his gaze. His eyes had turned completely black as he glared at her.

"This is your fault." He'd gripped her wrist, his skin like ice. "This happened because of you."

She'd fought him, but he held her with a death grip, his clammy fingers digging into her arm. The pain had finally snapped her awake.

Now, she pulled her knees tight to her chest and hugged them.

Annabeth placed a hand on her shoulder.

Aliana flinched away from her cold fingers.

Annabeth pulled back. "This is worse than normal."

"Something is coming." Aliana finally mumbled. "I don't know what, but it's coming." She faced Annabeth. "We have to go to the ritual site tomorrow. We have to stop it once and for all."
                                   *   *   *
"So let me get this straight." Percy stood at the edge of the stone circle. "You want to destroy and ancient ritual site, that is probably the only one of its kind."

Aliana nodded slowly. "Yes."

"Okay." He replied lightheartedly.

Aliana shook her head and grinned. She unsheathed one of her swords and took a step towards the pillar, hesitating for a moment at the edge of the circle. She tightened her grip on the blade and raised it above her head.

A bolt of lighting blasted the ground just outside of the circle, whizzing just passed Aliana's face.

"Sorry to interrupt." A familiar voice sounded from the shadows.

Aliana lowered her blade and followed the sound to a figure standing in the shadows of the trees. He was illuminated only by the soft glow of the stone clutched in his left hand.

Annabeth brandished her knife and Percy uncapped Riptide.

Aliana moved to their side. "Mason."

He stepped into the light. "I figured I'd find you here." He had dark rings under his eyes like he hadn't slept in days. "I can't let you destroy this place. I still need it." He gripped a handgun in his right hand.

Aliana moved in front of Percy and Annabeth. She wouldn't let Mason hurt them. "Mason, is this really what you want?" She held out her hand like a stop sign towards him. "You can stop this. We can find a way to reverse the stone's affects." She took a step forward. "Just let me help you."