Normally even a family dinner consisted of some twenty or so people, cousins aunts and all. Andre had a variety of people who claimed kinship with him and the palace staff had them on some kind of dinner rotation. Then there were the dinners that included visiting alphas and various humans and were dignitaries.

Since Andre was a warrior trainee and had guard duties, he was spared all but a few of these dinners which were invariably long. This private dinner would be over early enough for him to get to his duty.

"Have you talked to Carissa yet Andre?" His mother asked.

"Yes, I did."

"And?"

Andre sighed. "She doesn't believe me."

That shocked his mother. "Why ever not?"

"My guess is she can't allow herself to believe. I can imagine what living with such a betrayal would be like, never mind watching them living their lives and not giving her a moment's thought. Then to find that her sister knew all along and pretended not to? I don't think she's in a place to trust anyone."

"What can we do to help?" His father immediately asked.

That was one of the things he could appreciate about his family, they always had his back. Maybe it was the isolation of being royal, but his family was close that most times, like now, he never had to ask. "Grandpa, can you send her some proof that I'm not lying? Without letting her know who I am?"

A frown marred his grandfather's still-smooth brow. "Why wouldn't you want her to know who you are?"

Andre put the cutlery he'd forgotten he had down and straightened his already straight posture. "Richard pointed out that her sister might change her mind if she knew who I am. I don't want to confuse the issue and give Cari a reason to pull away from me."

"You think she'll want to go back to her true mate?" His father asked.

His wolf growled at the idea of that coward getting his hands on his innocent little Cari. With the ruthless power inherent in his blood, he reined in his wolf. As it subsided, he knew it'd given in and not been conquered.

"She's had ten years of knowing he was her true mate and desiring him. I imagine if Claire," he grit out the name. "Managed to become mine, he'd have no other choice but to accept Cari."

"You're not planning on taking Claire as your mate are you?" His grandmother questioned.

His jaw tightened at the mere idea of even touching that treacherous she-wolf. "I'd rather be salted with silver after my skin has been flayed."

"Good." The queen declared. "The last thing the kingdom needs is a future queen with such questionable morals."

"I will send Cari all she'll need." The king promised.

Realizing he was running late, Andre stood up and gave his family a warm general smile. "Thanks Grandpa. I better run."

He hurried back to his room in the warriors' wing. Though he was a prince his family believed he needed to live as any other trainee and be treated as such. That way he could relate to his people better.

Andre didn't mind it. He knew some of his cousins who were unbearable because they felt entitled. Instead of seeing their position as one of duty, they saw it as of privilege. After a quick change into his uniform, he rushed to the barracks for his assignment.

"You're late." His sergeant stated.

Andre looked at his watch and saw that he was a minute late. His wolf growled at the disrespect but Andre managed to keep it inside. Just because he understood the necessity didn't mean it was easy.

Her Second Chance✔ (Completed under edit)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें