the one with the evil orthodontist

third person pov

gianna was giddy. exhausted but giddy. so, opening the door to central perk and finding almost all her friends already there made her melt into comfort. 

"I am telling you, years from now, schoolchildren will study it as one of the greatest first dates of all time. it was unbelievable! we could totally be ourselves, we didn't have to play any games..." gianna's smile drops. 

"so have you called her yet?" monica asks chandler, leaning back in her seat with her coffee. 

"let her know I like her? what are you, insane?" chandler scoffs, sitting back in the armchair as gianna steps past and hits the back of his head. "it's the next day! how needy do I want to seem? I'm right, right?" chandler  ignores gianna's head slap and turns to the guys. 

"oh yeah. let her dangle." the boys nod in agreement as gianna takes a seat at the end of the sofa. 

"I can't believe my parents are actually pressuring me to find one of you people." monica grumbles, sliding further into the sofa beside gianna. 

"oh, god, just do it!" phoebe exclaims, reaching over for the phone on the counter and throwing it at chandler. "call her! stop being so testosteroney!" 

"which, by the way, is the real san fransisco treat." chandler jokes, turning his gaze to gianna who was staring ahead with a scowl on her face. he presses the numbers and holds the phone to his ear before hurriedly hanging up. "I got her machine." 

"her answering machine?" 

"no, interestingly enough her leaf blower picked up." chandler replies to joey sarcastically. 

"so, uh, why didn't you say anything?" 

"oh, no no no no. last time I left a spontaneous message I ended up using the phrase 'yes indeedy-o'..." chandler mutters. gianna was ignoring the conversation, instead casting her gaze out the window. 

"look look! it's rachel and barry." gianna exclaims, curling up in her seat beside monica. "no, don't everybody look at once!" 

"okay, okay, what's going on?" ross stammers, watching the girls who were staring intently. 

"okay, they're just talking..." 

"yeah, well, does he look upset? does he look like he was just told to shove anything?" ross continues, sitting up straighter in his seat. 

"no, no, actually he's smiling..." gianna's gaze softens before phoebe exclaims. 

"oh my god, don't do that!!" 

"what? what? what!?" ross repeats frantically. 

"that man across the street just kicked that pigeon!" phoebe replies as rachel pushes the door open. "oh!" 

"and basically, that's how a bill becomes a law." chandler explains, trying to cover for the group. 

"oh!...right!" 

"hey rach!" chandler averts the attention back to rachel, gianna glancing back to see her smile softly. 

"how'd it go?" 

"y'know it was uh...it was actually really great. he took me to lunch at the russian tea room, and I had that chicken, where y'know you poke it and all the butter squirts out..." rachel explains, gesturing with her hands. 

"not a good day for birds..." phoebe mumbles. 

"then we took a walk down to bendel's, and I told him not to, but he got me a little bottle of chanel...." rachel continues and gianna's jaw drops open slightly in shock.