the one where the underdog gets away

third person pov

"excuse me sir, hi, you come in here all the time. i was just wondering, do you think there's a possibility you could give me an advance on my tips?" rachel asks a regular customer. he just looks at her before standing and exiting through the door. "ok, ok, that's fine. fine. hey, i'm sorry about that spill before!" rachel picks up the tip and heads back towards the counter. "only $98.50 to go." 

"hey ross, did you know mum and dad are going to puerto rico for thanksgiving?" monica asks, sitting on the arm of the couch. ross sits up in the armchair, his face screwed up. 

"no, they're not." he replies and monica nods. 

"yes, they are. the blymens invited them." monica continues. 

"you're wrong." 

"i am not wrong."

"you're wrong." 

"no, i just talked to them." monica adds and ross stands immediately. 

"i'm calling mum." he replies before heading to the counter. on the couch, chandler sat with his legs over gianna's lap as she read a magazine. phoebe sat beside her, but on the floor, playing with the spoon on the table. 

"hey, hey." joey smiles as he goes to sit in the other armchair. 

"hey." gianna replies before taking in her older brother's appearance. 

"and this from the cry-for-help department. are you wearing make-up?" chandler jokes and gianna returns a giddy smile before joey replies. 

"yes, i am. as of today, i am officially joey tribbiani, actor slash model." joey smiles proudly at everyone. 

"that's so funny, 'cause i was thinking you look more like joey tribbiani, man slash woman." chandler jokes, earning a slap on the thigh from gianna. 

"what are you modelling for?" phoebe asks. 

"you know those posters for the city free clinic?" joey continues and the girls nod. 

"oh wow, so you're gonna be one of those 'healthy, healthy, healthy guys'?" monica asks and joey nods. 

"you know, the asthma guy was really cute." gianna adds and phoebe and monica nod in agreement. 

"do you know which one you're gonna be?" chandler asks, sending a side glance to gianna. 

"no, but i hear lyme disease is open, so..." joey crosses his fingers in response. 

"good luck, man. i hope you get it." chandler nods his head, turning his gaze to gianna's magazine. 

"well, you were right. how can they do this to us, huh? it's thanksgiving." ross groans as he comes back from being on the phone. 

"ok, i'll tell you what. how about i cook dinner at my place? i'll make it just like mum's." monica replies, offering thanksgiving dinner to ross. 

"will you make the mashed potatoes with the lumps?" ross asks. 

"you know, they're not actually supposed to have..." monica begins before ross looks at her sheepishly. "i'll work on the lumps. joey and gianna, you're going home right?" 

"yeah." joey and gianna share a smile before turning back to monica. 

"and i assume, chandler, you are still boycotting all the pilgrim holidays." monica turns to chandler. 

"yes, every single one of them." chandler replies sarcastically. 

"phoebe, you're gonna be with your grandma?"