the one where the underdog gets away

Start from the beginning

"yes, and her boyfriend. but we're celebrating thanksgiving in december, cause he is lunar." phoebe replies. 

"so you're free thursday then?" monica questions and phoebe turns to her excited. 

"yeah. oh, can i come?" monica nods with a smile before turning to rachel. "yeah, rach, are you thinking you're gonna make it to vail?" 

"absolutely. shoop, shoop, shoop. only a hundred and two dollars to go." rachel smiles, pretending to ski for everyone. 

"i thought it was $98.50." chandler says and rachel shrugs. 

"yeah, well it was. i, i broke a cup." she smiles sheepishly before heading back to the counter. 

*

everyone but rachel and joey are hanging out in monica and chandler's apartment. gianna is finishing organising the mail as rachel walks in the door. 

"hey, rach, did you make your money?" monica asks and rachel shakes her head glumly. 

"no, not even close. forget vail, forget seeing my family, forget shoop, shoop, shoop." rachel sighs before slumping into the couch. 

"rach, here's your mail." gianna adds, handing over some envelopes. 

"thanks, you can just put it on the table." rachel replies and gianna keeps holding the envelope out. 

"no, here's your mail."

"thanks, you can just put it on the table." rachel argues. 

"would you just open it?" gianna snaps, handing her the envelope. rachel stands and opens the envelope, seeing exactly a hundred dollars inside. rachel gasps and looks up at gianna with wide eyes. 

"oh my god, gianna!" rachel exclaims, tackling the smaller girl in a hug. "you are amazing!" gianna laughs as the pair hug. 

"chandler, here you go, got your traditional thanksgiving feast, you got your tomato soup, your grilled cheese fixin's, and your family size bag of funyuns." monica smiles, handing everything to chandler. 

"wait, wait, chandler, this is what you're having for thanksgiving dinner? what, what, what is it with you and this holiday?" rachel replies and gianna turns to look up at chandler as well. 

"all right, i'm nine years old." 

"oh, i hate this story." ross groans, his head landing on the table. 

"we just finished this magnificent thanksgiving dinner. i have - and i remember this part vividly - a mouthful of pumpkin pie, and this is the moment my parents choose to tell me they're getting divorced." chandler explains and gianna's face softens. 

"oh my god." she mutters, taking a gentle hold of his arm. 

"yes. it's very difficult to appreciate a thanksgiving dinner once you're seen it in reverse." chandler adds and gianna pouts up at him in sympathy. 

"as much fun as this is you guys, i've got a train to catch." gianna states, taking her coat and bag towards the door. 

"have fun gianna!" everyone smiles as she closes the door behind her. gianna sighs heavily before heading down the stairs and towards the train station. 

she decides to make a quick stop at central perk before heading to the station and as she walks through the door, gunther holds out the phone. 

"gianna. someone's on the phone for you." gianna smiles in thanks and takes the phone. 

"hello-" gianna stops short and her face drops. "i'll be as quick as i can." gianna hands the phone back to gunther before rushing from central perk and into the street.