Chapter 40: The End

One year later, November

Percy POV:

The funeral happened on a Wednesday. 

It was a beautiful service. Everyone came, despite the fact that they had to miss school and jobs to be here. Calypso, Leo, Juniper and Grover even came back from their travels to support her. Mr Brunner and my family came too, as did Annabeth's. Annabeth was surprised to see them, but she didn't complain. Today was a day of grief - a day where family drama had to be forgotten. 

A group of men from Minerva's work carried the coffin - it was a beautiful coffin, draped with a silk grey cloth. Everyone was wearing black, all except Annabeth, who wore a grey dress. She said that the dress had been her Mother's.

Annabeth was the only one who spoke at the funeral. She read out a poem she had written herself. It spoke of the love she had for her Mother, and the strength that her Mother had to get through all she had done. She recalled fond memories the two had shared together, and how, since the day she had been diagnosed, she had never shown weakness. It brought many people to tears, including Frederick. After the service, Annabeth left my side to talk to her Father. He didn't stay for long after that. When I asked Annabeth how their conversation had gone, she said that he hadn't said a single word apart from "I'm sorry."

I never left her side after that. We walked to the grave together and I held her hand as they lowered the coffin. 

HERE LIES MINERVA SOFÓS

DAUGHTER OF METIS, MOTHER OF ANNABETH

"Some of the words you'll find within yourself, the rest some power will inspire you to say."

"I need you to know, Annabeth, you're not alone," my Mom embraced her. We were sitting in our apartment. Paul was in the other room, playing with Estelle. Tyson was in the kitchen with Ella. 

"I know, Sally," Annabeth smiled against her. "I have you guys."

"We're always a phone call or a drive away," my Mom reminded her. 

"Thank you, Sally. That means so much."

"Hey, Mom, do you mind if I talk to Annabeth alone for a minute?" I asked. 

She nodded and stood up quickly. "Tyson, Ella, sweetie, would you like to help me make some cookies?" She disappeared around the corner and I heard the three of them shuffle around the kitchen. 

"What're you doing with your Mom's apartment?" I asked Annabeth. I held her hands in mine, and she looked down at our intertwined fingers. 

"She left it to me in her will, but I think I'm going to sell it," she replied quietly. 

"Why?"

"I never liked it much. It was always a reminder of my parents' divorce - it was my Mom's home, not my family home. I-I know I've been living there for the last year... but still."

"Where are you going to live when we get home from college? I mean, I'd offer this place but you know it's pretty busy."

She looked at me then and smiled. "You know that camp Mr Brunner was telling you about? Well, it's in Long Island. He said I can live there every time I return home from college."

"That sounds great," I smiled. "And then?"

"Who knows? Could go to New Rome, could find a place here. As long as it's with you."

She reached forwards for a hug then and I absorbed her in my arms. She rested her head against my shoulder. Annabeth hadn't cried at all today. She had said a while a go that, when her Mom's cancer got really bad, she had accepted her Mom's fate. None of her treatment had been working and Annabeth had left college practically every weekend to help her Mom as best as she could. That had been at the start of the year. That had been a rough couple of months, where Annabeth had come to terms with the fact that her Mom was fighting a losing battle, and there had been many tears shed. Now was not a time to cry - Annabeth had said - now was a time to remember her Mom and smile at the memories.