Chapter 29: New Year's Eve

Percy POV:

"Have you heard from you Dad at all?" I asked.

"What do you think?" She gave me a playful smirk, but she looked sad. 

"And your stepmom?"

"Is probably rejoicing at the fact that I haven't returned."

I checked that the coast was clear and silently grabbed her hand. "I feel like I'm failing somehow, letting Piper do all of this. You know I'd let you stay at mine if we had a big enough place, or more money."

"I'm happy staying here, and I'm pretty sure she's happy having me," Annabeth squeezed my hand reassuringly. "Her Dad left on boxing day to film in South Africa, so she'd be home alone for a few months anyway. Besides, we've only just started a relationship, I can't expect you to look after me that much. You're not failing at anything... you're actually doing exceptionally well."

I grinned and pulled her closer. 

"Oh, really? Like, how well would you say?"

She giggled. "Pretty well..."

"But if you had to rate me out of ten?"

"I'd give you a solid 7.5," she teased. I laughed and faked looking shocked. 

"Only a 7.5? How can I improve my score?"

"Well if you became Harry Styles..." 

I laughed loudly again, pulling her even closer and moving her arms around my neck. I rested my hands on her waist. "Yeah, that'd make me a ten out of ten, definitely. But I can't do that, so what else?"

"What else?" She grinned, raising an eyebrow. "I can think of one other thing..."

"Which is?" I started to lean in closer. 

"Kiss me," she whispered, and with a smile I obliged. Our lips touched, I smiled against her mouth, and just as a warm feeling spread through my body I heard the door open next to us and I quickly shoved her away. 

"So, um, you're in a few of my classes, right... Annabelle?" I asked quickly. 

Piper was standing at the doorway. She burst out laughing. "Calm down, Lovebirds, it's only me."

I sighed and ran a finger through my hair. Annabeth smirked at me.

"You two are going to have to be a lot more careful if you want to keep things hidden," Piper continued. "I would suggest to you that making out in the middle of my kitchen whilst we have friends round is not the smartest thing to do."

Annabeth blushed. "We didn't mean to."

Piper paused. "Right... you two are in that can't-take-our-hands-off-each-other phase, gross. Annabeth, you can stay in my room tonight."

My girlfriend's smile broadened. "Okay, Mom."

The three of us grabbed a drink each from the refrigerator and followed Piper to her indoor pool. It was New Year's Eve - Piper was hosting a small gathering of all of our closest friends. She had wanted to throw a massive party, but she was serious when she said that Rebel Wilson would report her to the police if she made too much noise. I was happy, anyway, feeling that I'd have a much more fun night without the likes of Rachel and Drew being present. 

With a quick glance at Annabeth, she left my side and followed Piper to join the girls and Will, who were relaxing in the hot tub. I took off my shirt and jumped into the pool, swimming towards the boys. 

"Sexy bod, Percy," Leo teased. 

"Calm down, Leo, you drool over him every time he has a swimming tournament," Travis said.