~28~

Jim sits up quickly in bed.
His shirt sticks to his body as a thick layer of sweat coats his skin.
Jim's hands run through his damp hair as his wide eyes scan the room.
He looks over at the other side of the bed and notices that Ember isn't there.

Jim let's out a confused breath as he lays back down on his pillow and stares up at the ceiling.

His mind swirls with thoughts as he lies there confused.
He's never had a dream about Ember's pedophile before but tonight is clearly a different kind of night.

Jim thinks back to the images in his mind. It was like reliving the incident again but this time he didn't save Ember. He just stood there dumbfounded.
She was screaming his name but he was frozen in place. His life seeming almost nonexistent.
He watched as Matthew grabbed Ember by the hair and practically dragged her into his car.
Jim watched as she pounded on the window still screaming for him as the car drove away.

Jim feels tears begin to surface and he quickly wipes at his eyes.

The dream felt so real.
He tired to move his body but he was paralyzed.
It was like he was the brain but his body belonged to someone else and he was unable to command it. He could only watch.

Jim sits up and lets out a frustrated grunt as he pushes down a panic attack.

It haunts him to think that could have actually happened.

Jim throws the covers off quickly and walks out of the room and down the hall into the front of Ember's apartment.

His hands grab onto the door handle as he clicks the lock.

"Hello Mr. Where are you going?" Ember's voice says.

Jim stops in his tracts and looks over into the living room at Ember.

Her eyes go from amusement to worry as she takes note of his frantic demeanor.

"Hey. What's wrong? Come here," Ember says as she waves him over.

Jim bites his bottom lip and locks the door as he walks nervously over to Ember.
He sits down beside her and looks down at his feet.

"What's wrong?" Ember asks as she picks at his sweaty shirt.

"I'm sorry," Jim says as suddenly tears starts pouring out of his eyes.

Ember's eyes go wide and she quickly pulls him onto her.

"What's wrong? What happened," Ember asks as she rubs his back soothingly.

Jim wraps his arms around her as he hides his face in her chest.

Ember gives him a tight hug as she holds him.

"It's okay Jim. It's going to be okay," Ember says as she runs her hands up and down his back.

Jim's sobs turn into hyperventilated hiccups.

"Deep breaths," Ember says calmly as she softly smooths out Jim's hair.

Jim goes silent and Ember sighs as she gives him another squeeze.

"I'm sorry," Jim whispers.

"Why are you sorry? You haven't done anything wrong," Ember asks as her eyebrows furrow.

"I didn't save you," Jim says as he starts hyperventilating again.

"Hey, hey. Deep breaths. It's okay, you did save me. I'm right here. It's okay baby," Ember tells him as she rubs his back.
She's extremely confused at what's going on in Jim's mind.

Jim shakes his head.

"I didn't save you. He got you and I didn't even try to help you," Jim cries.

Ember suddenly realizes what he's talking about and her mouth forms into an 'O' shape.

"It was just a dream Jim. It's okay. I'm here. I'm safe, you're safe. We're safe," Ember tells him.

"But it could have happened," Jim says as he tightens his hold onto her.

"But it didn't happen," Ember tells him.

"But it still could happen. Especially since, since," Jim stutter as he gasps between his sobs.

Ember rubs his back.

"W-what do you mean?" Ember asks nervously as she continues to try and calm him down.

"The police called and they said they caught him but they need to confirm it," Jim blurts.

Ember feels her body tense as she freezes.
Her eyes are glued to the wall and she can feel her heart attempting to leap out of her throat.

"They have him," she whispers as she feels herself panic a little.

Jim nods.

Ember takes a couple deep breaths.

"I'm trying to calm Jim down. It's not the time to freak out," Ember thinks as she starts rubbing his back again.

"Well I'm sure the police will take care of him," Ember mutters as she takes a couple deep breaths of her own.

"I'm not letting you see him by the way," Jim tells her.

Ember feels herself smile a little.

"That's a good idea. Just don't get hurt okay?" Ember grins lightly as she rests her head on top of Jim's.

"I won't," Jim tells her as he yawns a little.

Ember smiles as she feels him calm down.

She stares at the tv and then down at Blackbeard who looks up at her.
Her lips curl into a smile and Blackbeard stands up and trots over to Ember and Jim, putting his head between them.

Jim smiles as he pets Blackbeard which causes Kevin to run over.

Ember chuckles as she stands up and stretches her arms.

"Sorry for panicking," Jim sighs as she wipes his eyes.

Ember snorts.

"You never need to apologize for that. You know I'm here to take care of you," Ember smiles a she walks into the kitchen and fills two glasses with cool water.

She walks back into the living room and hands Jim a glass.
He thanks her as he immediately takes a sip.
Crying makes people thirsty.

Ember sits down and takes a sip as she looks up at the ceiling.

"You know. I think we could get married one day," Ember blurts as she looks between Jim and their two dogs.

Jim raises his eyebrows at her.

"Really," he smiles as she lays her head on his lap.

"Yeah. I think we're a pretty good pair," She chuckles as she looks up at him.

Jim smiles and kisses her hand.

Ember stands up quickly and reaches her hands out to him.

"Let's go change. We're covered in sweat and tears," Ember chuckles as she looks at Jim and her shirts.

Jim smiles and places his hands in hers as he stands up and follows her into the bedroom.