𝐨𝐧𝐞

july 15th, 1995

july 15th, 1995. hollywood.

"i can't believe i'm finally seeing them!" blake gushed, practically bouncing up and down on her heels.

"it's-it's exciting." charlotte nodded.

they were standing in line to see blake's favorite band of all time: sunset curve. she got a hold of one of their demo cds months earlier and hadn't stopped playing it since then. she was absolutely obsessed with luke, the lead singer, and hadn't stopped talking about him or his voice. while charlotte wasn't as big of a fan, she did admit that their music was good. so, blake dragged charlotte out to a dingy little club downtown, and made her put on a sunset curve t-shirt.

it was a warm summer night in hollywood. the stars were out, and so were the mosquitoes. charlotte slapped her arm and huffed. "that's, like, my tenth bite."

"we're almost to the front." blake said giddily.
and then they were.

"tickets?"

blake held out their two slips of paper. their hands were stamped, and they went into the building.

blake pushed and shoved everyone out of her way until she scored front row seats right next to the stage, and she practically screamed when she saw the banner behind alex's drumset that read sunset curve big and bold.

"charlie, i am freaking the hell out." she grabbed her friend's hands. "this is going to be the best night ever!"

eight o'clock hit, and charlotte started to notice some movement backstage. she caught a glimpse of a red flannel and a leather jacket, then a guitar slung over a shoulder, and a fanny pack.

"is that them?" she rested her forearms on the stage.

"it's definitely them!" blake squealed. "i can see luke's muscles from here!"

"maybe you can propose to him once the concert's over." charlotte teased.

there was no time for blake to come up with a comeback, because at that moment, the lights went completely dark.

seconds later, the sound of drumsticks hit together, a voice counting 1, 2, 3! and a chord echoed through the room.

the lights came up on the four boys on the stage. luke was almost sweating already, his voice just a little raspy as he sang. the crowd rushed the stage, pushing charlotte and blake up against it. they were barely ten feet away from the band, feeling each chord and cymbal crash and beat on the drum.

charlotte felt herself get swept away by the music, and she screamed the lyrics with blake like she'd known them all her life.

"what's up, hollywood?" luke called, and a wall of cheers and whoops came back to him.
"that's what i'm talking about!" he grinned.