Books lined the walls of the room and sturdy but expensive pieces of furniture decorated the rest of it. For all they were big, the size of the room made them seem cosy and minimalistic.

Andre was surprised to see the crown prince with the king but he kept his face passive. "Your Majesty, your highness." He bowed to the royals.

"Andreas." The prince acknowledged.

"Come forward boy," the king commanded and Andre winced at being called a boy but no one corrected the king. He did as asked. "Good news my boy, we found your mate."

His heart squeezed inside him, a rush of adrenaline washing through his body as his skin dampened. His hands trembled and his knees became weak before he stiffened them. Anger swiftly swept over him at all that treacherous female had put him through. Which stiffened his backbone further.

"Where is she?" The question came out hard and uncompromising.

The king looked him over with a puzzled expression before it cleared. "Oh no, I don't mean your true mate, though we did find her too. Come sit and I'll explain."

Andre took the indicated chair beside the crown prince facing the king. He hoped he wasn't as stinky as he feared and wouldn't be leaving his unpleasant scent on the expensive chair.

"You have been suffering your true mate's betrayal for some ten years." The king pointed out as a starting point and Andre balled his fists to stop the instinctive need to lash out that truth always brought in him. "Well, there is a certain young lady who has been suffering with you."

He frowned at that. His mate wouldn't have suffered with him, she was the one betraying him, finding pleasure in other males. Had she become a whore? Or had she simply chosen another male? Was she being held hostage by someone who forced her each night? Andre realized he was about to find the answers to the questions that had been tormenting him for all these years.

"It seems your true mate has a younger twin and decided to take her sister's mate." The king informed him blandly.

Andre closed his eyes, pain stabbing at his heart. He'd been abandoned, considered unworthy site unseen. As painful as the thought of her being captive all these years had been, he'd have preferred it to this. And for a female to be so callous as to take her sister's mate?

"What happened to the sister?" He chose to ask instead of dwelling on the betrayal he'd spent a decade fixated on.

His jaw hardened as he listened to all that was happening and had happened in the Darkpaws pack. He'd been betrayed simply because his grasping true mate had wanted to be a luna. She hadn't even wanted to wait to see what rank he might have been. Even if she had loved the second alpha a decent person would've waited for his appearance before trying to exchange mates.

The sad thing was Andre had been in the highlands, close to the Darkpaws, ten years back when the excruciating throes had gripped him. Chances were, he would've met his true mate then and all this could've been resolved. But his true mate hadn't cared. He doubted she'd given him a moment's thought if she could deliberately hurt her own sister.

"What is her name?" He asked after all was said and done.

Not knowing who he meant, the king provided him with the names of both females. "The elder twin Clarissa is known as Claire and the younger is named Carissa and everyone calls her Cari."