Chapter 18: Wedding Bells Part 2

Story Dedication: This chapter and all future chapters, as well as future stories are/will be dedicated to my father Jose C. who departed this world far too soon. Passing: 2017. And now my uncle too from my father's side and his brother, who just passed away in February of 2020. Anyway, happy new year's everyone. Stay safe.

Miranda smiled sheepishly as she walked along with her cousin and the rest of the group. She watched as Serena walked up ahead of the rest of them, obviously avoiding Darien. Serena had her arms cross as she kept walking while the girls tried to keep up with her. Andrew and Michael turned to Darien who was obviously pretending not to care. Rolling their eyes, both turned away and watched as the girls crossed the street before them and the light quickly turned red, forcing the three males, Miranda and Mandy to stop in their tracks and wait.
Miranda watched as her dear little cousin wrapped her arms around Darien's arm, obviously much to the young man's discomfort. After the little scene back at the dress shop, she was curious as to why he always picked in the sweet bubbly girl walking ahead of them. She knew guys sometimes had a hard time expressing their true feelings as well as trying to act their silly tough guy acts. Her fiancé was the same before she had started dating him.
Miranda turned to Darien who was trying hard to push her cousin off him as Michael and Andrew just talked, without even noticing or just deciding to leave Darien to his own problem. As soon as the light turned green, Michael, Andrew and Miranda began to cross the street. Darien was about to follow when Mandy held him back as the light quickly changed red again. Turning to her, Darien looked at her confused as Michael, Andrew and Miranda turned around when they noticed that both hadn't followed them across.
"Sorry but I just had to get you alone for a minute to ask you something. Why is it that you always insult Serena? Is it really hard to admit you like her?"
Darien's eyes widen at the older woman's words. He turned away and started at the light, waiting for it to change. Miranda sighed and looked at him as he tried to avoid eye contact.
"Or is it that you are just afraid to admit you like her. Perhaps its fear of rejection?"
She asked. Darien sighed and looked at her.
"It's neither, I don't like meatball head. You wouldn't be the first to ask me that." He responded as the light changed and he began to cross the street while Miranda watch for a sec before she began to cross the street as well, smiling.
'You may be able to fool others but I can easily spot attraction when I see it.' Miranda thought to herself smiling, as they both caught up with the guys and Mandy, before catching up with the rest of their group at a small cafe Miranda had recommended for a quick lunch. As they sat down at a small outdoor booth, Lita and Serena turned to Miranda smiling.
"Tell us about your fiancé Miranda, please?" Serena asked as she and Lita leaned over to the older female who smiled and blushed as a waiter approached them. After ordering their food, the waiter walked away and Miranda began to talk about her soon to be husband.
"Well, James is a chef at a five star hotel in Tokyo. He's a hard worker and very kind. We attended the same college our freshman years." Miranda stated and caused Serena and Lita to smile along with Amy and Raye as Mandy also smiled at her cousin.
"Was it love at first sight?" Lita asked, imaging both Miranda's and James' reactions when their eyes landed on each other. Serena smiled as Miranda giggled.
"Not exactly, more like dislike at first sight."
Miranda responded before secretly looking at Darien, who noticed and blinked confused.
"When I first met him, he was nothing but a giant jerk. He would tease me, call me names and joke about how I always ran late for class. It was my first year of college, no one is perfect on their first time at doing something new."
She responded as the waiter returned with their drinks and she took a sip of her lemon tea. Michael, Andrew, Lita, Amy and Raye were left surprised before looking over at both Darien and Serena. Serena was confused at Miranda's explanation while Darien, looked down at the ground, avoiding eye contact with anyone. Mandy took a sip of lemonade before turning to Miranda smiling.
"But afterwards you confronted him and asked him to stop being a total jerk." Mandy said before Miranda gave a nod.
"Correct, I walked up to him and told him specifically to stop being a mean and to leave me alone. After that I turned to walk away when he grabbed my wrist and started apologizing to me before he explained his reason for picking on me."
Miranda explained, smiling before Raye, Lita, Amy, Andrew and Michael looked at each other, thinking it sound a bit familiar to them. Darien rolled his eyes, knowing what they were thinking as Serena looked at them and blinked completely innocent, and clueless. Miranda smiled as she took a sip of her tea then when she set the cup down, two hands covered her eyes.
"Guess who~?"
Miranda blinked confused from behind the hands as Serena and the others looked up at the person who covered Miranda's eyes. Serena and the others looked at the male that had arrived. The man looked around Miranda's age with shoulder length brown hair tied back into a short ponytail, and deep chocolate brown eyes. Serena, Raye and Lita blushed as the male turned at them and winked, while Miranda touched the man's hands with her own. When removing his hands, Miranda looked up and saw him before smiling as she wrapped her arms around the man's neck.
"James."
Miranda smiled as the man, named James wrapped his arms around Miranda's waist. James smiled as Serena and the group watched him kiss Miranda's forehead, causing her to smile and blushed, as she covered her cheeks. James chuckled at her reaction as he hugged her close while Mandy stood up.
"Hey James, hows it going?" Mandy asked, smiling. James smiled at Mandy and pet her head.
"Hello Mandy. How are you doing? Are these all your friends?"
James asked as he looked over at Serena and the others who waved hi at him, who smiled at them. Mandy turned to them and glared before turning to James.
"They aren't my friends, but Darien is-"
Mandy replied when Darien cut her off.
"I am not."
Serena and the others turned to James and shrugged as he blinked confused. Miranda smiled at him when her cellphone began ring. She walked away to answer it as James began to start a random conversation with the group. After two minutes, Miranda returned looking upset. Serena and the others noticed and grew concerned as Miranda sat down next to James. He held her hand and kissed the back of it affectionately as he asked her what was wrong.
"That was the bakery where we ordered our wedding cake. They got our cake order mixed up with another wedding." Miranda responded before slamming her head on the table, almost knocking everyone's drinks down.
Serena and the girls looked at Miranda sadly and worried before Serena smiled.
"If you want, I know someone who is great at baking." Serena smiled as James and the others turned to her and Miranda raised her head up, looking devastated.
"Really? Who?" James asked on behalf of Miranda before Serena smiled and raised Lita's hand up. Lita blinked confused for a second before her expression turned to shock.
"W-Wha m-me?!"
Serena gave a nod as she smiled while Miranda and James looked at each other, unsure clearly written on their faces.
"Believe me when I say Lita is a wiz in the kitchen. She makes the yummiest foods and sweets you've ever tasted."
Serena smiled as she explained her reason, causing Lita to blush. Miranda and James looked at each other before they turned back to the teens. Miranda smiled as she looked at Lita.
"Well if its no trouble then alright. But you probably have far more important things to do."
Miranda smiled a little and Lita smiled as she shook her head.
"It's no real trouble at all. I can make cakes in my sleep. Just send me the information on what you would like and I will make a small taste test cake for you both."
Lita smiled as Miranda and James smiled back. Serena had a large smile on her face, as Raye and Amy smiled as well, shaking their heads at their friend. Darien was pinching the bridge of his nose as Michael and Andrew just smiled. Soon after, their food had arrived before they had finished eating then headed back to school.
The rest of the school day went by quickly before Serena and the girls made their way to the cafe as they talked about Miranda's wedding.
"Oh I wish we could go and see the ceremony! It would be so romantic~!"
Serena squealed as she began to twirl around as she and the girls walked down the hallway. Lita and Raye gave nods as they smiled and blushed at the thought of their own wedding days. Amy smiled at her friends as they arrived at the student cafe and walked inside to find Miranda and Michael talking as they sat at a table. Smiling, the three walked over to find Michael sketching a three layer wedding cake. The girls looked over Michael's shoulders to watch him. Michael pulled out of his metal case of color pencils from his backpack and began to color parts of the sketch.
After a few minutes, Michael smiled as he finished and showed the sketch to Miranda who smiled as she stared at the picture in awe. The picture was of a three layered cake with white fondant, red cherry petal looking crystals and strawberry roses along with dark cherry red icing and white fall leaf icing looking embroidery.
"You like?"
Michael asked and Miranda smiled as she gave a nod.
"It's perfect."
Miranda smiled more as Serena and the girls also smiled. Michael turned around to them when he spotted their reflections in one of the display windows nearby. Michael smiled at the four girls and showed them the drawing.
"What do you girls think of Miranda's dream wedding cake?"
Michael asked smiling but got no reply. Serena and the girls stared at the drawing itself in awe. The sketch look so realistic due to the form of shading and the coloring, that it looked almost like someone could just reach out to the cake and grab it. The girls kept staring at the drawing, neither noticing Darien and Andrew walk up behind them with Andrew holding a tray with two cups of coffee. Both the older males looked at the drawing and Darien whistled unexpectedly, starling the four young girls in front of them.
The four girls jumped back and turned to the two males as Serena glared at Darien.
"What is wrong with you sneaking up on us like that?!"
Serena shouted annoyed. Amy, Raye and Lita sighed as Darien smirked down at Serena as Andrew rolled his eyes at them both. Michael just smiled while Miranda just watched the two teens shout insults back and forth. She looked away smiling a little as she turned back to Michael and both continued to look down at his sketch to add a few finishing touches and adding side notes on the back.
Ten minutes later, Michael gently ripped out the page with the sketch book and handed it to Lita who smiled, looking it over. Serena had peaked over Lita's shoulder and smiled at drawing. Darien, Amy, Andrew and Raye noticed a light drop of drool roll down the right corner of Serena's mouth.
"The cake looks so tasty."
Serena smiled and Darien smirked as he looked over at Miranda.
"Be happy Meatball head isn't attending the wedding or else there wouldn't be any cake for the other guests."
Darien teased before Serena turned back to him and blushed as she glared.
"S-Shut up jerk! And for your information, I wouldn't eat all the cake... just a slice... or two..."
Serena muttered the last parts to herself as she looked away. Raye, Amy and Lita looked at each other and shook their heads before Lita turned to Miranda and smiled.
"If you'd like, I can make a small taste cake right now. It shouldn't take me more then a hour and a half or so." Lita stated before Miranda smiled.
"If its no trouble then alright."
Lita smiled and gave a nod before she gently rolled the sketch paper up and walked out of the cafe. Serena, Raye and Amy pulled chairs over to the table and sat down, before they and Miranda continued to talk all things wedding related. Darien turned away bored as he walked over to the counter and pulled up a chair bored, no one even noticing a certain black talking cat watching the girls talking and specifically watching Miranda with curious eyes.
An hour and a half later, Lita returned to the cafe carrying a plate with the taste cake, a few smaller plates, plastic forks and a plastic cake knife, to the table before she gently set the cake down on the surface in front the others. Miranda and the group stared at the cake in awe, it looked like it was completely made by a professional baker.
"Wow, this looks amazing."
Miranda smiled as Lita began to cut the cake while Andrew walked over to them along with Darien. Lita placed the first slice of chocolate cake on a plate and handed it to Miranda who took it from the young teen to try it. Miranda was handed a plastic fork and began to eat her slice as Lita cut the rest of the cake and handed a slice to Serena, Raye, Amy, Michael and Andrew.
"This is delicious Lita, Serena was right. Its so moist and spongy." Miranda smiled as she continued to eat more as Lita tried to hand Darien a slice.
"Thank you Miranda." Lita smiled back and blushed lightly from the complement when she looked at Darien who was kindly declining the sweet.
"Thanks Lita but I'm not that into sweets."
Darien explained, half lying as his mouth watered at the sight of the chocolate cake. Serena rolled her eyes as she grabbed the plate from Lita before she stuffed half of the cake into Darien's mouth, catching him off guard. Michael and the others watched surprised before they broke down laughing from the sight as Serena had an innocent smile on her face.
"Shut up and enjoy the cake jerk." Serena said, shoving the plate into Darien's hands before she continued to eat the rest of her slice. Lita smiled at the funny blonde before she cut another slice and placed it on Serena's plate. Serena happily began to eat her second slice of cake as Darien looked away while he ate the cake that had been stuffed into his mouth. Minutes and stomachs full of cake later, Serena, Andrew, Amy, Raye and Lita made their way to their up to Serena's room for a senshi meeting.
They arrived at the room and walked inside just as Luna jumped into the room from the window balcony.
"Hey Luna, where you go off to? You didn't get seen did you?" Serena asked, sitting on the couch as Amy walked over to the talking feline and picked her up into her arms, carrying her over to the others.
"Of course not, I know to keep a low profile." Luna replied, her tail flicking a bit
"And yet you couldn't do that properly because I found out you're secret." Andrew said, having his arms crossed as he smiled a bit and Luna blushed a bit as her tail shot up in remembrance.
"Anyway we came here for senshi businesses not talk about the past." Raye said, trying to bring everyone's attention back on track before Luna cleared her throat.
"Well, speaking of the past, it is the reason for this meeting actually." Luna explained, causing everyone looked at her curiously.
Soon, the group learned the reason for the monsters attacks and the reason for them becoming Senshi. After a long explanation, Serena and the girls sat alone in Serena's room after Andrew had left. Luna had explained to them of their destiny to find and protect a lost princess from a long lost kingdom from centuries ago. Serena laid on her bed, looking up at the ceiling as Amy, who held Luna in her arms, sat in Serena's desk chair.
"I don't get how we're supposed to find this princess if we don't know what she looks like." Serena said. Luna looked up from licking her paws.
"It can't possibly be that hard. We are looking for someone who acts proper and elegant. As well as having possession of this... this... whats it called again Luna?" Lita asked as she laid on the floor, her legs resting up against the couch as Raye counted her forest green painted toes out of boredom.
"The Silver Imperium Crystal. The princess will most likely have it in her possession."
Luna explained before Serena sat up and looked at her friends, "But what if she doesn't?" She asked as Luna jumped up on to the edge of the couch.
"Then once we locate her, we can locate the—" Luna explained before she paused, a knock at the door interrupting her. Luna ran to hide under the bed as Serena stood up and walked to the door, opening it. Miranda stood on the other side smiling.
"Oh Miranda, hi." She said as she stepped to the side to allow her friend in. Miranda smiled before she paused as she saw a something black sticking out from under the bed. Serena and the girls followed her eyes and saw the black object before they froze in place, before Serena smiled sheepishly a bit.
"T-That's just my black sweater. I was looking for it all over and t-thanks for helping me find it. I-I'll pick it up later." Serena said, as Raye, Amy and Lita can only facepalmed a bit at the lie before Miranda smiled
"Oh alright. Listen girls..." she said, before Serena and the girls looked at her curiously as Miranda smiled.
"I was think since it's a little late for you all to attend the actual wedding, perhaps you'd be interested in attending at least the wedding rehearsal, rehearsal dinner and vows." Miranda said, surprising Serena, Raye, Amy and Lita. The four teens turned to each other surprised before they exchanged smiles and turned to the bride to be.
"Yes~!/Of course~." The four teens replied back, excitedly as Miranda smiled.
"Excellent, we'll meet at the chapel later next Thursday at five after your classes. I'll go talked with my grandfather on the topic. See you girls in a bit." Miranda said, waving bye and exit the room as Serena and the girls exchanged excited looks.
They sat down on the couch as Luna stuck her head out of her hiding place, saw the coast was clear and walked over to the couch and jumped up to the back of it.
"I can't wait for the rehearsal. It's gonna be so romantic.~" Serena bursted out excitedly, happily clapping her hands. Luna sighed and shook her head at her.
"Serena, we need to focus more on finding the princess. Not get excited over a wedding rehearsal." The feline explained, causing her charge to pout .
"Come on Luna, nothing wrong with going to see it. We may be guardians of the princess and this planet's protectors, but we're still humans. We need to have fun." Serena countered back. Lita gave a very eager nod, agreeing.
"Yah, and maybe we might be lucky and somehow find the princess there. You never really know." Lita said too, as Serena gave a nod.
"We can't get side tracked. We need to find the princess." Amy said, trying to make them see reason.
"Come on Amy, just taking a small break from searching is not gonna hurt. I know locating the princess and protecting her is our top priority, but if we don't find her right this second it's not the end of the world. If she stays hidden for a little while longer then it's not a bad thing right, I mean isn't it a good thing?" Serena countered at Amy and Luna's words.
"How would that be a good thing Serena?" Luna asked, surprised at Serena's lack of loyalty and not seeing the seriousness of the situation.
"Listen Luna, I get we have to find the princess and her silver crystal and keep both her and her crystal away from the dark kingdom, but please hear me out. If we haven't located her then it's a good thing, cause she's safe as long as she's not in the clutches of the bad guys. If we search for her twenty-four, seven none stop then we'll be too tired to even protect her. We maybe guardians, pledged to protect the lost princess, but right now we are still teenagers and we need to unwind sometimes." Serena said, in a calm manner as Luna stared surprised. The feline cat sighed as her ears twitched.
"Very well, but do not get sidetracked and forget your priorities." Luna said, before being pulled into a tight hug by Serena. Luna struggled against the blonde's grip as the other girls laughed a bit in amusement.
After a long hug, Luna was finally released and watched the four girls begin to talk none stop about weddings. Luna let out a sighed, shaking her head in disbelief.
'Honestly these girls...' she thought to herself.
Days went by quickly before the day of the rehearsal finally arrived. Serena and the girls waited for school to let out as they sat in their classes, waiting for the bell to ring. Serena tapped her pen on her desk impatiently, staring up at the classroom clock up front as the minutes ticked on by slowly. Darien had been taking notes during the whole class, at the same time eyeing Serena's bracelet on her wrist the entire time. He couldn't help clench his pen tightly as he thought of the person, whom he had a sneaky suspicion, was the one that gave it to her. Serena was completely oblivious of Darien watching her, it rather her bracelet, the whole entire hour and a half as their class was slowly coming to an end. Serena smiled as the final bell finally rang, signaling the end of the school day as students rose from their seats, began to collect their books and supplies. Serena collected her stuff and was out the door in a flash. Serena hurried up to her room and rushed through the door, waking and startling a previously napping Luna, who jumped up from the bed. Serena muttered an apology, setting her book bag on her desk then walked to the closet. She changed out of her uniform into a pale pink sweater, blue knee high jeans and beige ankle boots. She grabbed her purse and headed back down to the student cafe, where she was meeting up with her friends as they waited to head to the church chapel. Serena jumped up and down in her seat as she, Lita, Amy and Raye sat in one of the booths.
"Calm down Serena, we'll get to the chapel when we get there." Amy
"Sorry, I can't help it. I'm just so excited to attend a wedding... well rehearsal but you know what I mean." Serena replied as she managed to calm down, and sat in her seat in a normal manner, though her expression showed her excitement.
"I hope we go soon." Serena said, smiling happily, not noticing Darien enter the cafe and walk over to their booth.
Darien eyed Serena's bracelet as it continued to dangled from her wrist. He walked over and grabbed Serena's startling and surprising her and the girls as the four were baffled. Darien pulled the bracelete off Serena's wrist as Serena's eyes widened.
"Hey! That mine!" Serena shouted, trying to get her bracelet back as Darien appeared to inspect it. He held it out of her reach as he look it over. He turned to say something to Serena when his wrist was grabbed by someone. He turned to the person who had grabbed his wrist to see Michael as he tried to grab the bracelet from him.
"Give it back, it's not yours." Michael said, glaring at Darien, who glared ay him back.
"It's not yours either." Darien retaliated, trying to pull his wrist away.
Both pulled on the bracelet, trying to take it from each other when the chain snapped, the bracelet falling apart and landing on the floor. Serena stared in complete shock as did her friends as Michael and Darien looked down at the pieces that were once a bracelet. They then turned to Serena surprised and nervously.
"S-Serena. I-It was an accident!" Michael said, in shock of what happened.
Serena stared down at the pieces that were once her bracelet before she leaned down and picked the pieces up, and carried them to the trash to toss them out when Michael gently grabbed her hand and had her stop.
"Don't, it can probably be fixed." He said, trying to grab the pieces when Serena stopped him and shot Darien a glare.
"Why fix it? So some idiot can break it again?" She asked and Michael took the pieces from her and pocket them.
Serena looked down at her feet as she crossed her arms. Michael turned to glare at Darien too, who looked away, avoiding eye contact. Serena sat back down with her friends as Lita rubbed her back for comfort as Amy and Raye held Serena's hands in an attempt to help too as Darien walked over the counter as Andrew wiped the counter down.
"Nice going, you just made Serena dislike you even more." Andrew said as he turned to get a mug of coffee for his friend.
"It was an accident. If he hadn't grabbed it—" he said, only for Andrew to interrupt him.
"If you hadn't grabbed it first then it wouldn't be in pieces now would it?" Andrew asked, looking at Darien with disbelief expression.
Darien turned away, looking down at the ground, feeling a bit bad for what happened. Minutes went by before Miranda finally arrived. She walked over to the girls at the booth before she paused at seeing Serena looking upset.
"What happened?" She asked, concerned.
Serena looked at her and forced a small smile as she got up.
"It's nothing to worry about, promise. Let's get going~!" Serena said, cheerfully, not wanting to ruin the reception with her negative mood.
The girls exchange worried glances then realized Serena didn't want to upset Miranda before they smiled a bit themselves, though they were still concerned. All four girls got up and made their way out of the student cafe as Darien watched concerned for a bit as Andrew set Darien's mug of coffee in front of him. Darien took the mug into his hand and took a sip, not even the bitter taste of the freshly brewed liquid helped relieve the guilt he felt. Quickly, and painfully, Darien drank the rest of his coffee down, ignoring the pain of the burning feeling in his throat and mouth.
Serena smiled as they sat in Miranda's car as she drove them and Mandy to the church where the wedding would be held. Miranda looked over at Serena, curious to know what had happened as Lita, Amy and Raye were looking at the usually happy blonde worried.
"Serena, you sure you are alright?' Miranda asked, looking at Serena with the rear mirror as they had stopped at a red light.
Serena turned to her then back to the window, not wanting to reply and ruin the happy mood.
"I'm ok, really..." she replied back, smiling a little. "
Minutes later they finally arrived at the church and Serena and her friends, stared in awe at the beautiful building and the garden near the side entrance. Miranda parked the car in the back, the girls got out before heading inside.
Unknown to the scouts, Nephrite was watching from the roof of a nearby tall building.