Chapter Twenty-Three

Zacznij od początku

"Dawnstar, may I come in?"

"Of course," she replies. 

Hawthorneclaw pads in and nervously licks her shoulder. "The thing is, I've been getting the same prophecy every time I try and sleep. There are two cats standing in the Clans, but the Clans are aflame. They always say the same thing: 'The one from the time when Silverpelt shines bright, and the one who descends from the time of the light will have to mix to make things right. Only then will the fires perish, or else you'll lose all whom you cherish.' I finally realized what it means, StarClan wants me to have kits. That's who thse two kits are, my kits!"

"But it's against the Code for a medicine cat to have kits. Are you sure this isn't just a dream of yours?"

"I'm sure. I've had this prophecy since I became a full medicine cat, no one else has been told about it. I had to tell you that to make sure you knew that, when I tell you my news, that I didn't just make it up."

"Well, what's your news?"

"I'm a moon pregnant with Nightsky's kits."

"I would usually say congratulations," Dawnstar said hesitantly, "but I'm not sure what to say to a medicine cat."

"I promise you that I am not imagining this or making it up, it's from StarClan. I've been a medicine cat for how many moons? I know the difference between a dream and a prophecy."

"Okay, I trust you Hawthorneclaw. We'll wait a little longer to tell the Clan, let me mull it over. Sound good?"

"Yes! Thank you so much, Dawnstar," she purred.

"Of course. Now, stay healthy. I have some kits to apprentice today." She mrowed appreciatively at the news- it had been way too long since there had been new apprentices. Oakpaw and Skypaw would for sure be happy to not have to complete their duties all by themselves. She leaves the den, a purr still rumbling in her throat that she wouldn't get in trouble.

I have to talk to Nightsky! she thinks. She walks up to Stormpaw who's eating with Sunpelt.

"Where's Nightsky?" Hawthorneclaw asked, making sure to calm her voice.

"He went on a walk," Stormpaw mews back. Dipping her head in appreciation, she walks into the forest, refraining from racing off. A few tail-lengths in, she saw Nightsky heading back to camp.

"Nightsky! I have some great news!"

"What?" he asked, his mew nervous but excited.

"I told Dawnsky about our kits and..."

"You did what?!" he yowled, but then quickly closed his jaws.

"Do you want every cat in the forest to hear you?" Hawthorneclaw meowed, amused. "You didn't let me finish though. She's okay with it! I told her about the prophecy and everything is fine!"

"Really?" Nightsky replied, relieved.

"Really!" Excited, they walk back to Camp, their tails flicking happily. When she gets back to the medicine den, she is surprised to see a familiar cream she-cat pacing nervously.

"Cloudkit! What are you doing here?"

"Um," she mews hesitantly, "I know I haven't really shown it, but I was wondering if you'd allow me to train as a medicine cat apprentice? Dawnstar said I had to ask your permission first. A few moons ago, when you came in because Honeykit had a cough, the whole time I was thinking to myself 'great StarClan! Helping other cats would be so cool!' Even though it was nothing, I found it amazing how you knew what to use to help her and how to make her better. It's also amazing how you get to be so close with StarClan..." the kit droned on, but Hawthorneclaw's mind wondered elsewhere. With her kits coming, an apprentice would be nice. She was still able to make the journey to the Moonpool, so she could take her tonight without a problem. It was, by a large coincidence, already a half-moon so she was heading up there anyway tonight. Plus, she seemed so enthusiastic about the position, she's a bright young cat and would be an amazing medicine cat. "...and that's why I would love to be you apprentice," she finishes, her bright green eyes glowing with enthusiasm.