Chapter 11: Blood Price

Beginne am Anfang

Callahan's parents.

That night, under the protection of Alpha Oliver, they were retreating when Cal saw his own father's demise at the young age of thirteen. Surrounded and eaten alive by lycans. Skin ripped off flesh, limbs torn apart, and intestines spilled everywhere. The gruesome sight disturbed him deeply, but nobody would've suspected that the notorious Alpha Callahan was capable of having nightmares.

Nightmares cannot have nightmares.

"Matthew, Matt, Matty boy, tell me," he circled the victim tauntingly. "To what do I owe the pleasure of seeing you in my humble abode hmm? Daddy-O got bored of his golden son? Or perhaps an unexpected fallout with dearest Maximillian?"

Maximillian 'Max' Sawyers was Matt's older fraternal twin. They were known to share a deep brotherly bond, often aiding one another in pack duties.

An uninvited Sawyer within his grounds? That fact alone just bought young Matt an express ticket towards his afterlife.

"You don't know what you're doing, Callahan," Matt was beginning to lose his consciousness at an alarming rate and soon passed out due to the unbearable pain.

Sighing in annoyance, Cal barked out orders to deal with the intruder. "Lock him up! Feed the boy, but deprive him of water! I need him alive! Kyros, you're in charge! Carson, my office NOW!"

The five men obediently complied their Alpha's orders. Carson followed Cal outside whilst Kyros released the chains from Matt's bloodied limbs and dragged his body towards an empty cell, shoving him inside. Alex, Theo, and another werewolf named Rode began to scrub the dried and fresh blood off the dungeon's stone flooring. Relief washed over them, because finally their shift was over.

"Alexander, report to my office," Cal spoke through the mind link.

"Yes, Alpha."

His thick brows were furrowed, emphasising the harsh lines on his forehead while his pink lips tightened into a straight line. Anger was evident on his face, so nobody dared to approach their fuming Alpha as he made his way to the study. Carson, who was hot on Cal's trails, motioned his hand slicing off his neck to show that he may be in some kind of trouble, and at that very moment, everybody knew their 'fun' Beta was fucked.

Yes, fun. Seeing how there were two Betas in charge, Carson was always known as the people's person - a social butterfly, whereas Alexander got the crappier reputation for being too serious. According to Carson, they got along fairly well, despite Alexander's daily complaints about his son's poor choices of role models. Cal topped Horus' list, Carson landed second best, and Alexander, his own father, ranked third.

Upon entering his study, Cal was greeted by the sight of his other Beta who was standing beside the file-stacked desk, dressed in a white button up shirt and black slacks. Formal as usual. Carson's concerned expression told Alexander everything he needed to know about this morning's urgent meeting.

"Carson," Cal sat on the black swivel chair whilst the Betas occupied the seat across his desk. "Enlighten us."

Without hesitation, Carson told them about the events that led him and his team to stumble upon Matt Sawyers in full detail. Matt insisted on having a private audience with Cal, but according to pack's regulations, all captives must be taken to the dungeons for interrogations.