CAMILLA: No, she wouldn't because she'd be much too frightened of what you might say to her. I think you've got - I'm afraid it's a terrible thing to say - but I think, you know, those sort of people do feel very strongly about you. You've got such a great hold over her.

CHARLES: Really?

CAMILLA: And you're . . . I think, as usual, you're under-estimating yourself.

CHARLES: But she might be terribly jealous or something.

CAMILLA: Oh! (Laughs) Now that is a point! I wonder. She might be, I suppose.

CHARLES: You never know, do you?

CAMILLA: No. The little green-eyed monster might be lurking inside her. No. But, I mean, the thing is you're so good when people are so flattered to be taken into your confidence. But I don't know they'd betray you. You know, real friends.

CHARLES: Really?

CAMILLA: I don't. (Pause) Gone to sleep?

CHARLES: No, I'm here.

CAMILLA: Darling, listen, I talked to David tonight again. It might not be any good.

CHARLES: Oh, no!

CAMILLA: I'll tell you why. He's got these children of one of those Crawley girls and their nanny staying. He's going. I'm going to ring him again tomorrow. He's going to try and put them off till Friday. But I thought as an alternative, perhaps I might ring up Charlie.

CHARLES: Yes.

CAMILLA: And see if we could do it there. I know he is back on Thursday.

CHARLES: It's quite a lot further away.

CAMILLA: Oh, is it?

CHARLES: Well, I'm just trying to think. Coming from Newmarket.

CAMILLA: Coming from Newmarket to me at that time of night, you could probably do it in two and three quarters. It takes me three.

CHARLES: What to go to, um, Bowood?

CAMILLA: Northmore.

CHARLES: To go to Bowood?

CAMILLA: To go to Bowood would be the same as me really, wouldn't it?

CHARLES: I mean to say, you would suggest going to Bowood, uh?

CAMILLA: No, not at all.

CHARLES: Which Charlie then?

CAMILLA: What Charlie do you think I was talking about?

CHARLES: I didn't know, because I thought you meant . . .

CAMILLA: I've got lots . . .

CHARLES: Somebody else.

CAMILLA: I've got lots of friends called Charlie.

CHARLES: The other one, Patty's.

CAMILLA: Oh! Oh, there! Oh that is further away. They're not . . .

CHARLES: They've gone . . .

CAMILLA: I don't know, it's just, you know, just a thought I had. If it fell through, the other place.

CHARLES: Oh, right. What do you do? Go on the M25 then down the M4 is it?

CAMILLA: Yes, you go, um, and sort of Royston or M11, at that time of night.

CHARLES: Yes. Well, that'll be just after, it will be after shooting anyway.

CAMILLA: So it would be, um, you'd miss the worst of the traffic. Because I'll, er . . . You see the problem is I've got to be in London tomorrow night.