.27.

"Alright, we've got scripts and storyboards finishing up tonight, so we're ordering lunch and dinner," Braxton announced, clapping his hands and rubbing them like an overeager villain. "It's going to be a late night! Go forth and give me greatness kids."

Inwardly, I was groaning as we got up to leave the conference room.

I should've seen this coming. We always ended up scrambling the night before a big client review. Our meals would be catered and goofing off would be heavily encouraged to 'refresh' our brains whenever necessary.

I was operating on zero sleep and I could only ingest so much caffeine before one of two things happened. Either my eyes would eventually force themselves shut, or, I'd have that complete mental breakdown I'd been narrowly avoiding.

Shockingly, Gray stuck around to work on the storyboards with Rebecca and two of our junior designers. He'd bedazzled them with his ideas and suggestions, and I had to admit, I was a little amazed too.

Since I'd already sent my drafts over to Braxton for feedback, I opened up a new web browser. It couldn't hurt to do a little shopping while Rebecca was off with Gray.

It turned out, one of my favorite online retailers was having a sale and I began loading up my cart with cute underwear. While clicking through options, I found a smokey mink satin chemise with a sensuously curved lace cutout from the breasts to the navel.

I zoomed in to check out the measurements, which can be tricky with a chest like mine. The slinky getup's color had me picturing the way Gray's eyes would bulge (along with something else) at the sight of my breasts straining against the luminous material.

A sexy daydream crept up on me, wriggling into my brain until all I could think about were his lips in places I couldn't say out loud.

I'd cede control to Gray, allowing myself to be wholly consumed by the fire of our dangerous attraction. It was like our mouths were built to play tonsil hockey. His pouty lower lip was perfect for sucking and nibbling, while his tongue was proficient in the sensual probing strokes that drove me wild.

I had to take a sip of water because imagining his breath tickling my bare skin was making me moist. So much for my last pair of underwear.

"Hey, chica!" Rebecca chirped as she sashayed through the door with Gray right behind her. Fire licked my cheeks while I avoided Gray's curious expression. "We were thinking of staging a coup and getting Braxton to order dinner from Bluefin Sushi."

He strolled over to our bookcase, scanning the shelves as if it were the Magna Carta.

"Sounds delicious," I smiled, minimizing the browser and inhaling through the nose. "How are things in storyboard-land? Ready for me to take a look?"

"Almost," Rebecca grinned and scrunched her nose at Gray like an adorable bunny.

It was going to take some very deliberate work on my part to be happy for her when her conquest was complete.

And what the hell was wrong with me?

Gray wasn't even my friend. He was my ex-boyfriend's best friend, and Rebecca's man crush, and my coworker.

The team worked through the afternoon while I attended impromptu reviews. Gray and I were in most of the same meetings, but I was conscious to keep at least a few feet away from him at all times.

Occasionally my skin would burn, or I'd get an itch to glance in his direction, only to find him fully engaged with someone else.

Braxton, however, was being a royal pain in the ass and kissing up to Gray like he wanted them to be pen pals after summer camp. It was agonizing to watch.

At five, I slipped away to change into my running clothes. The second floor of our building was an exclusive gym, where all CD&R employees had a membership as part of our signing package.

I figured a good long run would help me pound out the sexual frustration still swirling in my blood.

After locking my purse inside my desk, I headed for the elevators. Almost everyone had gone home except for those of us on the Microsoft account. I focused on my phone to select my running playlist and sync my wireless earbuds.

If silence was golden, I felt like a billionaire.

"Hey," Gray's deep voice almost made me jump out of my skin while waiting for the elevator. "Are you leaving?"

"No, just going for a run," I replied. "Be back in an hour and a half."

"Oh," he nodded rigidly. "Cool, have a good run."

"Thanks," I averted my eyes to watch for the elevator doors.

As soon as possible, I zipped inside to give him a polite wave. Gray returned the gesture with a confused look. I waited until the doors had rolled shut to lean my forehead against the cool silver metal.

Long-distance running is therapeutic for me, and while I prefer the backdrop of nature, living in the northwest means I do my fair share of slapping the indoor treadmill.

The mechanical whir felt comforting, like a white noise hug, whisking my feet along a challenging preprogrammed course.

I zoned in on my breathing to clear my thoughts and be in the moment. My pulse throbbed with the hypnotic rhythm of Britney's most iconic jams.

My heels slapped the tread and cool beads of sweat emerged on my forehead, proving I was going to beat this. That I could outrun my strange desires and my problems.

After all, I'd done it before.

I was facing a giant picture window, which reflected back a muted image of the near-empty gym behind me. And me, all alone in a sea of unused equipment.

Four and a half miles later, I was stretching out. The outline of bodily sweat on the yoga mat felt oddly satisfying, though it looked totally gross. I didn't even bother with a shower, figuring that my natural funk would only make me less fun to be around.

When I made it back to our office, Rebecca was sitting at her desk and chatting with Gray. He was sprawled across our cramped loveseat, completely man-spread.

Gray watched me enter with cold, passive eyes.

"Hey, chica," Rebecca greeted me effusively. Half a clear plastic cup of red wine was sitting next to her computer. "Look at you all hot and sweaty."

"I'm glowing," I reminded her, glancing down at the unattractive and amorphous blob of perspiration soaking my shirt. "A lot."

"Good run?" Gray asked, studying something on his phone as though he couldn't care less if I answered.

"Yup," I remarked, just as docile and taking a seat at my desk. "So, Rebecca, how are the storyboards?"

Two could play at this game. If he was done with me, I'd be twice as done with him.