Chapter 30 Misjudgement

My head is still resting on Fred's chest as I clutch his shirt like a baby. I opened my eyes and saw everyone had taken a different position. Nate was now leaning on to a wall while looking at the scenery outside of the window, Ren was also leaning to the wall in front of me and playing at the petals of a flower on one of the flower vases, and Dan was sitting on a chair and rocking it back and forth.

Fred started to stroke my hair. He was looking at me with a smirk. "Did my charms work?"

It took me about a minute to realize what he had just said. Once I realized it, I gave him a frown and smacked him at the chest. "Ow!" He said and feinted hurt. "I take that as a no." I rolled my eyes at him and sat up.

My cheeks flushed in embarrassment. Did I really just cry? "Sorry." I said quietly.

As I lifted my head, I caught Nate's eyes and he smiled. "You don't have to be sorry. We understand what you're going through." He said and his eyes had gone soft. He stood up straighter as he faced me. "But you should always remember that you're safe here."

"We'll protect you as long as you're here." Ren added, making me switch my him. "All of us will."

"Same goes for Ace." Inserted Dan, making me give him a confused look. Once he saw my face, he sighed. "When you are cloaked it conceals your presence and smell. Our noses and even Fred's magic can't track you down at the time so we decided to split up and look for you. You have no idea how many towns we went to just to look for you. It took us hours and it was driving us all crazy."

"Excuse me. Cloaked?" I was confused.

The princes stared at me. "Didn't you cloak yourself?"

"No...?" I said. Uncertain of what they were talking about.

"The red hood?" Nate suggested.

"What about it? Is it expensive? Because I kind of threw it at a nosey deer."

There was a moment of silence.

"Pfft!" Fred snickered beside me and looked away to cover his laugh with his fist. Nate simply did the same while shaking his head. The twins sat there looking dumbfounded.

Suddenly, Ren straightened up. "Hold on. So you mean to say that you had no idea that the cloak can hide your presence?"

"It can!?" Suddenly I was interested. Then I cursed. "Damn it. And I threw it at a deer. Lucky deer."

"Why did you even think of wearing it?"

"I thought it was pretty. And it kept me warm."

Ren facepalmed. "What sheer luck." Then he collapsed on the floor.

Dan was laughing. "Humans are so mysterious. Lucky for us that Ace was around."

I tilted my head to the side. "That guy helped?"

Dan held out a hand to shush me. "Let me finish." He said. "As I was saying, we couldn't find you anywhere. But Ace...he somehow found a way to find you."

"He did?" I asked. Are we even talking about the same PRINCE?

Dan thought about it for a moment. When he couldn't find the right words to say, he looked at Fred for help. Fred nodded at him as he continued Dan's explanation. "Have you noticed the change in PRINCE Ace's appearance?"

I looked back at how different Ace had looked before he left the room and nodded. "Yeah. His ears changed. It became longer and sharper."

Fred nodded at my observation. "Yes. That is the regular appearances of the Elven folks."