14⇢mysteries

JAMIE

Honk! Honk! Honk!

I'm pulled out of my rooftop-thinking-session when I hear multiple cars blare their horns from below. I rush to the edge of the roof, looking down to inspect for danger when I feel a drop of rain hit my forehead from the dark clouds above.

I knew it was going to be a gloomy, rainy day.

It's been just about a week since Max's funeral. I've answered multiple phone calls regarding his death, Voltar continues to make broadcasts where she threatens life in Brooklyn, and I'm still getting used to the term 'girlfriend'.

Looking over the roof, I instantly roll my eyes when I see a red car, swerving about as it interferes with both sides of the road. DUI. Again?

I quickly jump off the roof, skyjumping through the sprinkles of rain over to the direction of the red vehicle. It sways and veers, causing pedestrians to shout and run, and it only fuels me to go faster.

All of a sudden, everything happens in slow motion.

I watch as the wheels shift left, causing cars in the other lane to come to an abrupt stop as the red truck heads straight for the opposite sidewalk. Screams erupt in the air, but one car isn't able to stop in time.

I quickly jump down, landing on the pavement and shooting intense pulsations towards the wheels of the truck, and it stops, vibrating furiously on the road.

I remove the vibrations, angrily walking over to the left side of the car, ready to give the driver a piece of my mind, but when I rip open the car door, I see no one. Absolutely no one.

The hell?

I feel a crowd forming around the area, and I quickly shake off the sudden mystery, slamming the door closed, as I walk to the tiny sedan, the one I saved from being T-boned.

A man and a woman exit the car, and I briefly watch as he holds her hand to stop her from shaking. I make my way over, grabbing their attention. "Are you two okay?"

"Yeah," she replies, her voice timid and scared, "Just a little shaken up."

"You're safe now," I reassure her, "Police and paramedics will be here in a few. What are your names?"

The man speaks first. "I'm Kyle Larson, and this is my wife Nicole."

Larson?

I shake each of their hands. "Nice to meet you."

Nicole gives me a small smile, and I return it before I suddenly feel an awkward pause coming on. "Where are you headed off to?"

"Us?" Kyle smiles, grabbing his wife's hand. "We're on our way to meet our son."

"Oh? What's his name?"

"Samuel."

I must not be breathing. This can't be right. "Sam?"

"Yes," he continues, "He's been in foster care all his life. We're meeting him for the first time."

He looks at me expectantly, but I can't answer. Have I just beat Sam at meeting his own parents?

"Oh, um..." I stutter, "I actually happen to know a Sam Larson."

Both of their eyes light up, but Nicole is the first one to speak. "Really? Is he 19? Does he work at House of Paws? Is he studying psychology?"

"Yeah," I stammer, not able to catch my breath and definitely not expecting my morning to go like this at all.

"Honey," Nicole turns to Kyle, holding his hands in hers, "She knows our Samuel."