Chapter 11 - Fear

We sealed any ward we passed showing signs of a virus or hallucinating patients and staff on our way to the labs.  The more time passed the worse the hallucinations became.  Instead of retreating or hiding some of the victims started lashing out occasionally hurting themselves or others.  Locking them up in rooms wasn’t an ideal solution but it was the best we could do for them till an antidote was created.

“Access denied.” The computer said outside the laboratory doors.

“Come on!” Kleef groaned.  “Override code 7651-KB.”

“Denied.”

“OVERRIDE CODE 7651-KB.” She shouted.

“Kleef, stand back.  There’s another way to get in.”

“How?”

“It’s only made of glass.”

Before she could argue I’d spun the trolley around and started marching down the length of the corridor before turning it sharply around again and lining it up with the lab door.  Kleef ran backwards whilst I ran forwards pushing the trolley in front of me and gaining speed.  With a crash the trolley broke through the glass door and it fell to smithereens.

“Careful.  Watch your feet.” I said, stepping over the door frame still locked into place.

“What were you thinking?” she asked.

“I was thinking that would look really cool.” I snickered.

“Vandalising hospice property, you could get struck off for this.” She argued.

“I think they’ve moved beyond that now, Kleef.  Help me hook this up.”

Together we lifted the heavy cylinder and attached it to one of the many devices held in the laboratory.  The machine sprang to life and the gas hissed whilst being sucked in by the equipment.

“Computer, can you tell us what kind of gas this is?” I asked.

“Unknown.” Came the male voice of the lab computers.

“Can you identify which planet it has originated on?  Cross reference it with known gases on the hospice archive.”

“Main hospice server is denying me access.  Cannot cross reference with archives.”

I crossed the room to the device on the wall and placed the psychic paper to the pad once again.

“Computer, give us access to the archives.”