Chapter 37 | A very Happy New Year

Start from the beginning

But to no avail.

As I kept falling and falling, I admittedly began to lose hope that I'd make it out of here despite still trying to find a way to save myself. I stopped looking after passing about halfway, hoping that when I was to splat it would be painless and fast. 'Am I... really dying here?...' I wondered, parts of my new life flashing before my eyes. The sound of the world faded away and was replaced with the rhythmic thumping of my own heartbeat, and as my eyes slowly closed to cover up the world around me I began trying to finally make peace with myself. 'It wasn't a lot, but I did... alright' I thought, remembering my first patrol. But pretty quickly, my train of thought was cut short.
"KiD!" A familiar, distorted and demonic voice called out, his voice tearing through the silence. "YoU quIttIn' nOw?" His voice echoed, making me turn to where he was stood. I saw Jess, Sally, Ann and Slenda all looking at me with worry and anticipation. "No wAy I'M leTtiNg yoU gIvE uP noW!" He added, his tone full of expectation. "YOu eVeR waNnA sEe yOuR giRl agAiN?" He asked, grabbing my full attention. "ThEn yOu bEtTeR reAcH oUt, anD KiCk! sOmE! AsS!" He yelled, his barbaric words piercing my heart.

As Nightmares words resonated with me, my mind flashed back to the beginning of this battle. And then it hit me, I remembered how Nightmare caught the sledgehammer. When he saved me and I looked over to him, I saw that a shadow arm was stretched out of his and he used it to grab the hammer. 'Reach out!' I repeated, seeing 'New power unlocked: Shadow Stretch' on my HUD along with my realisation. "It's now or never!" I exclaimed, furrowing my brow and holding my arms out whilst hoping to whatever god there was that this was going to work. As both of my arms fully extended, I felt a bubbling wave of ice cold energy go through my arms. I watched as wavy rings of shadows moved up each of my arms and when they reached my wrist, turning into shadow arms that extended out and gripped one of the bats that crushed the head I was previously on. "WOOHOO!" I yelled valiantly, swinging like an ape on a vine as I felt my feet almost touch the ground.

Luckily for me, the creature still kept its bats level as it breathed heavily after crushing its now falling comrades skull. I swung my way back through and I managed to loop myself back up onto the height of the bat, as I let go of my grip I did a backflip and yet another three point landing. 'No more mister nice vigilante' I thought, sprinting along the weapon once again and smiling at my title. Drawing my pistol, I shot two rounds into its left eye as I ran towards the right. 'Ten, eleven, and that's what I'm crankin' it up to!' I thought, holstering my pistol before pulling out and throwing my wakizashi into the creature's right eye and causing it to reel back in pain from both of its eyes being attacked. As it reacted to the attack, I was once again flung into the air. "Not this time!" I yelled, using a shadow hand to latch on and pull myself towards the deeply buried wakizashi. With the momentum I gained, the weapon was torn from the eye and pulled back into my hand as I soared above the creature. I was roughly twenty feet above the beast when the wakizashi came to my hand, so I held it above my head with both hands and as I landed I slammed it down on a glowing point I saw on its head. Knowing I had the advantageous position, I closed my eyes and focused on the blade of my weapon. I thought of the design of it in my mind, doing my best to picture the whole shape in comparison to where my hands were. 'Focus... focus and concentrate...' I thought, doing my best to channel the power in a much gentler fashion. I felt a thin line of heat emerge from my palms and trail down the hilt of my weapon. Opening my eyes, I watched as the flames coiling around my wrists began to snake past the hilt and wrap themselves around the blade that was fully buried in the head of this creature. I pulled the blade out slightly to see that its edges were coated in blue flame.

Plunging the blade back into the creature, I gripped the hilt even tighter and tried to channel my magic in a more aggressive manor. With a twist and a push, I forced the flames to lash out, some of them even bursting up through the wound before going back to the blade itself. As the flames burst out, the creature swung its arms in a blind frenzy.