| chapter three

❝ Chase your stars fool, life is short.

»»————- ♡ ————-««

⸻ "What are we going to do?" Jax asked. The wolf was chewing on the tip of his finger as he paced from one end of the room to the other. On the other hand, River was quiet. River was always quiet, only speaking when he was sure of what he had to say. 

If we looked at both, River and Jaxon were far too different souls and bodies. While River stood at 6'1 ft, Jaxon was at 5'9. River was tall and slim, his skin a russet, sepia tone that glowed in the sun, and his eyes of an outstanding grey, while Jaxon's was slightly shorter but also slim. His skin on the other hand, of a rose beige and with the bluest pair of eyes Lucifer had ever seen. Together, they made a hard to match pair. Not only when it came to beauty but intelligence and wit. 

Jaxon on one hand, had always been talkative. Whether he'd be nervous, happy or simply in the mood to do so, Jax was always talking. Not River though. River was a silent thinker. He'd rather listen than talk, which was one of the reason Lucifer had always valued him so much. He was a trusted companion. 

⸻  "Seriously! I am dying over here! We can't exactly show up at her door and say: Hey! Hope you've settled in well because you see ⸻ You're our alpha's mate and he needs you to keep himself from slaughtering every single one of us. Oh! Forgive me! Did I mention he's the god of the underworld? No? Must've skipped my goddamned mind!" Jaxon yelled exasperatedly, while slapping his hands on the side of his legs. 

⸻ "If I knew what to do, I wouldn't have asked you both to come here Jax." Lucifer mumbled. The latter had his forehead pressed against the wood of his newly bought desk, feeling too drained from the emotions of the past week to even remotely lift it. 

⸻ "She's human Lucifer! She won't know what to do! Plus, she's seems very ⸻ weird, for the lack of the better word. Lana told me she tried to engage her in a conversation and she was afraid to even look at her in the eyes! Her son conducted the whole conversation. Did I mention she has a son? She has a son by the way."

⸻ "She has a son?!" Lucifer jerked upright.

⸻ "Who's Lana?" River asked at the same time. 

Jaxon was unfazed as he answered both men.

⸻ "Yes, she does. His name is Kai Martin, he introduced himself to Lana and mentioned he's fourteen. She also works two jobs to pay for them. Lana's my mate by the way." 

⸻ "You have a mate? And you didn't think to tell me?" River stood up and crossed his arms, clearly offend at the lack of communication from his best friend. 

⸻ "It didn't cross my mind, honestly. I ⸻"

⸻ "I can't believe she has a fucking kid!" Lucifer bellowed, swiping his hand over the table and throwing all of it's contents towards the ground. They tumbled, and some of them reached the friends. 

⸻ "Wow!" Jaxon held his hands in the air. "Hold your horses there buddy! I don't think you're in any position to judge her when you have an eighteen year old kid of your own wondering around here somewhere! You don't know anything about this woman so let's all chill and not break the fucking desk I just bought!" 

Lucifer was enraged but as always, Jaxon and River were the only ones ever capable of calming him down and forcing him to see reason. It was one of the bigger reasons as to why he had chosen them of all people in the world to lead alongside him. 

He could still remember them as children, barely able to walk. If he hadn't taken them in and fed them himself, given them clothes and a warm place to stay, he was sure they would've never survived out in the storm. Years later, they were still his to care for and cherish, even if they no longer needed his assistance. 

⸻ "Tell me about Lana." He chose to say instead. There were a millions questions he wanted to make about his mate but he was sure it would drive him to insanity and he needed a clear head in order to get through the week. Jaxon's mate was a neutral but happy subject, he needed happiness. 

River sighed in his chair and relaxed back, awaiting to hear from his friend. Lucifer knew how much it bothered him to not have yet found his own mate. Over the course of plenty years he had been reassuring River that one day they would come and he wouldn't knew what to do with himself but River was a wall. Nothing ever reached him. He'd been left traumatized due to several years of mistreatment from his peers over something out of his control and he no longer considered himself worthy of having a soulmate. Lucifer knew he was wrong, he had made sure to discuss the subject with Selene who had guaranteed him that she had her own plans for the boy. 

⸻ "She's wonderful!" They were both startled out of their own thoughts as Jaxon started. "She's a redhead, just throwing that out there. She cooks the most amazing food! You've got to try it someday! She's such a wonderful, amazing, caring and loving person. Man, I just love her." 

⸻ "I'm glad you're happy Jax." Lucifer smiled, crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned back. He glanced at River once to see him holding his head down. As soon as he did it, he looked back at his friend and offered him a bright smile thus masking his own suffering. 

⸻ "I have an idea." River mentioned, now turning to look at Lucifer. "What if we befriended her? We could know more about her and her  .. child and we could report back to you anything we learn." 

⸻ "The thought of you two even remotely close to my mate is very disconcerting." 

⸻ "Hey man, I have a mate. You either take it or leave it, if  it ain't us, it's some random pack mate out there with different intentions than ours." Jaxon commented. 

⸻ "Alright! Alright! I want you both to know every single detail about her. If she needs anything, you ask me. Do not allow her to purchase anything on her own. Until I find more about this woman I need to keep her safe and secure and I need to have eyes on her at every single hour, minute and second of every day. I cannot have a repeat of Nalia, do I make myself clear?" 

⸻ "Yes sir." River nodded.

⸻ "Yes chief father!" Jaxon joked, mockingly holding his hand over his forehead in salute. Lucifer ignored the man, already too accustomed to his mannerisms. 

⸻ "Leave, go check on her and report back to me. Do not let the child give away too many information, we never know who might be listening."

They both nodded and as they turned to leave, Lucifer called them out again. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. His face depicting just how exhausted he was truly feeling since the woman had arrived. 

⸻ "Thank you, both of you." 

⸻ "You're welcome." They nodded, smiling before leaving and slamming the door on their way out. 

Lucifer would never speak the words out loud but, the thought of knowing bits about his mate's life was exhilarating and it was enough to briefly force his wolf counterpart into a deep slumber thus giving him the rest he so badly needed.