•Really see me•

I snatched open the door and bounced outside in bewilderment to find Hot cop pulling out a picnic basket from his boot and walking farther down towards the huge body of water that reminded me too well of a not so distant memory. 

A carpet of lush greenery almost engulfed my feet as I stepped out of the car, but I barely paid attention to it. I just needed answers to questions that, for some reason, had suddenly began to plague my mind;

Like why Hot cop wanted to sit on the blanket he was currently spreading over the carpet grass that looked too green and trim to be natural and watch the waves of the river crash close to where his feet lay when he should rather be investigating murder cases. 

I wondered why he wanted to talk to me about love, by the deserted riverbank that looked perfect for his said picnic… 

Or a romantic date…

My eyes widened at the realisation I'd just unconsciously implied.

"What are we doing here?" I found myself looking around like something or someone had heard my thoughts and would suddenly jump out of nowhere to call me out for how preposterous it sounded to the ears.

"We're here to unwind." When Hot cop's replied unexpectedly, the timbre of his voice startled me so much that I almost jumped. "We are here to forget about problems and live in the moment. Another bonus will be getting to know each other, I still would like to find out that thing about you that intrigues me."

It had to be the way he winked, or his expression while he was delivering those words —that was akin to that of a fanatic worshipping his idol— that suddenly reminded me of how misled Hot cop was; how he was misunderstanding me all over again even after witnessing how much of a proper bitch I could be.

I closed my eyes to try reining in my raging temper and the lashing out that was underway;

It didn't work.

"I agreed to a drive because it'll help me escape shit. I didn't want to forget; I still don't want to forget how I've screwed up my sister because I couldn't handle the unfiltered truth about how pathetic I am for attention." Hot cop made to say something, but I stopped him by raising an pointer finger and narrowing my eyes into slits.

"I don't want to unwind; it is still fucking risky to 'unwind' when I have a psycho murderer shadowing my every move and before you go all 'we have apprehended the culprits and they're in custody', I don't think any of them did it." I searched his expression for a confirmation and his gaze wavering from mine gave me just the right amount of go-ahead I needed to be more frustrated.

"And that's more reason to cut whatever the crap this is and get back to the school's premises, goddammit! I refuse to unwind when every other female around me is at risk of being murdered in the most gruesome way possible!"

I began marching from where he stood toward the vehicle we came in and I was glad he didn't stop me. 

After settling in the passenger side of the car, I focused on regaining control of my breathing pattern. I was almost there when the door suddenly opened and Hot cop settled in beside me. I exhaled shakily and averted my gaze to the view outside my window.

"I…" he began, “I am sorry for… suggesting… I don't know, I'm just… it's just… unwinding helps me clear my mind, helps me think of newer possibilities and…"

I'd never witnessed Hot cop stumble over words, but I was too exhausted to show the surprise I undoubtedly felt.

"You're right. Alero and Saheed barely know anything besides teenage infatuation and misinformation of…" I found it suspicious that he trailed off and muttered a curse word under his breath before continuing;