"Ma..." her dad was horrified. "You knew her mate had betrayed her and didn't tell me?" he questioned.

"Betrayed?" The Beta laughed. "The betrayal was having a human born from a beta pair and mating her to a powerful bloodline would have been worse. Do you realize she has infected our family? Would you have wanted me to let her weaken another powerful family?"

"Who exactly is he?" Her dad demanded of his own, his arms cradling her to his chest as she succumbed to her weak nature and hid against him. She wished she could hide from the words that had brought her even lower than she was already.

"The second alpha." The Beta spit out.

"Oh no!" her dad moaned as his legs buckled and he slumped back onto the bed. She heard gasps and recognized the shock of her family members who hadn't known.

"Was I supposed to let her taint the alpha line? Weaken the next generation of our pack?" Her grandfather's voice was devoid of remorse.

"Ten years," her dad said softly. "You suffered for ten years, sweet baby! Why would you not tell me?"

"Because the Alpha commanded it." The Beta stated as if it were obvious, and it should have been, but her dad was such a good man that he'd never suspect his Alpha of such a thing.

He stood up again, his body stiff as he faced his own father. "And you let this happen?" he demanded. "To your own granddaughter? For years I came to you with worry over my daughter and you wouldn't tell me?"

"You wouldn't accept the mates I had for her!" the Beta retorted.

"They were centuries old, men who had already had and lost mates! I thought she hadn't found her own yet! But you were aware of it all along."

"She's a human!"

 "So is her maternal grandmother!"

"But she," he said emphatically, and she realised he was referring to her maternal grandmother, who had to be there because she was visiting. "Was not conceived by werewolves. How many other were born as humans have you heard of? "He responded to his own question. "None."

"Did any of you know?" her father demanded, and she knew he was questioning the rest of her family.

Her humiliation was now complete. Even her family members who loved her would realise how worthless and pathetic she was.

"I thought she was just jealous of Claire." her mother's teary voice came through. "Oh, Cari," she pleaded. "Please forgive me."

"Mother? Did you know?" her father asked again and she could feel how that hurt him.

"You know the alpha line has to be strong son," her grandmother reasoned.

"Trip?" he inquired of his firstborn son, the second beta.

"Yes," Trip said flatly.

"And if you knew, Claire would too," her father reasoned.

"Yes," Trip said once more.

"How could she take the mate of another? Her very own sister?" His question was filled with despair, disbelief, and shame.

"She realised she'd be a better luna," her grandfather explained.

Cari simply wanted to die. Why wouldn't she literally die? This would have been a perfect moment, but all she could do was cower against her dad as everything fell apart. She felt her dad move but lacked the strength to object or even lift her head to see where he was going.

"What are you doing?" her grandfather inquired.

"It's clear you don't care about my daughter." her dad stated. "So I'm taking her to the grandfather who does."