After about five minutes of repeating the action, just listening to his shallow breathing and wondering if he was having a dream, I sighed and stood up. I quickly knelt down and pressed a soft kiss to his temple, then I stood up and started to make my way out of the room.

"Don't leave." A sudden voice called out to me. I stopped in my tracks immediately and turned around to Newt, who was still in the same position. I wasn't even sure if I was hearing things or if he was genuinely speaking to me.

"Newt?" I asked in a gentle whisper, wondering if he was calling me back.

"Please stay." The unmistakable voice spoke from the cot. He sounded weak, hurt.

I nodded and made my way back to the place I was sitting before. I was right next to his head, and as soon as I sat down, he rolled over so that he was now facing my body. He wrapped his arms around my waist, and he lifted his head down onto my lap like a little boy wanting his mother to comfort him. I ran my hands gently down his back, wanting to be there for him in any way that I could.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "I didn't really go to sleep. I was just faking it," His voice cracked, "Didn't want to talk to anyone."

"We don't have to talk if you don't want to," I replied, making him nod. I pat his back once, telling him to sit up. He did, and I adjusted my place so that I now had my back against the wall. Newt stayed curled up in his little ball, bringing his arms to his chest but resting his head on my lap once again.

We just sat like that. He drew small patterns on my knee, probably trying to distract himself from having to face the reality that his best friend was dead. If I were him, I wouldn't want to talk about it either. After I saw Ben's banishing, I didn't want to speak to anyone. Minho basically forced me to. I probably would've talked to Newt, but I would've done it unwillingly. I would've just wanted him here like this.

I slowly rubbed his back and his arm. At one point, he got too hot and took off his white sweater, making my heartbeat stop for a millisecond before he returned to the fetal position he was in before. My left hand brushed through his hair like before, and we just stayed like that, enjoying each other's presence. I never thought that I would enjoy laying with someone, not even talking. The only sound that I could hear were Thomas' muffled screams coming from the pit. I still don't know why he decided to put himself through that...in my opinion, it was a stupid move.

But I wasn't thinking about that right now. My mind focused solely on the boy in front of me. His eyes were open, but he wasn't really here. He was in a different world right now, one where he was probably reminiscing on the thoughts of the things he and Alby had done together. All the tough times they had managed to get through, and all of the fun they probably had in between. From what I knew, they were some of the first Gladers. I don't exactly know when Newt was sent up, but Alby was the first one. And when he met a friend like Newt, I can imagine not wanting to lose him. It's how I felt. It pained me that I couldn't say anything to make him feel better...I mean what do you say after someone you care about looses someone like their best friend? There's nothing you can say.

"Mae?" Newt finally spoke. I hummed in response, temporarily forgetting the English language at the sound of his raspy voice. He sighed, almost like he was forcing the words out of his mouth, "When...When you first came up in the Box...did y-you remember me?"

I inhaled sharply at the question, not expecting it in the slightest. I shook my head, feeling like I had just been caught off-guard. But once I had the response in my brain, I made sure not to talk too loud, feeling like this moment was too precious, "Um...well I didn't really remember anyone. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't remember anything. My family, my name, I didn't even remember what food tasted like. But when you helped me calm down my breathing, I...felt as though I knew you from somewhere. You were familiar."