𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧. 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑔𝑎𝑙𝑎

Word count: 5066

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 car on the street over (Lila was still unaware of their powers, so using a portal or teleporting was out of the question), the four of them snuck over to the consulate whose address was listed on the invitation.

They peered over the stone barrier that lined around the building, getting a good look at their surroundings.

The front of the building was where most people occupied, heading inside as they gave nods to the security guards that overlooked the door. The front entrance was quite fancy, with white pillars decorated by smooth grooves, and a flag hung on each of the front ones, one American, one Mexican. 

An oval sign was hung over the top of the arched entryway, with the symbol of an eagle, and the surrounding words announcing the Mexican Consulate. A yellow lantern-like light was hanging, although it gave no help to the light as it was still quite bright outside.

The rain had just ended minutes before, and the gloomy weather was evident as they approached beside a car whose body glistened with raindrops. Diego was at the front of the group, peering over the trunk of the car as the others crouched behind.

"So, what's the plan?" Lila breathed out as she came up behind him.

Diego whipped his head around to face them, leaning his left arm against his knee for support. His eyes were the most serious that Elizabeth had ever seen them be as he spoke softly, "We infiltrate, we identify, we extract. Double time."

As Diego turned to face the front once more, Lila turned to face the other two behind her. Her expression clearly showed that she hadn't understood a word that Diego had spoken. "What the hell's he talking about?"

"Find the old man and get out fast," Five answered, his eyes flickering from the building to her.

Diego turned to face them once more, his eyebrows knit together tightly. "That's what I said. On me."

With one last glance at the security guards who patrolled the entrance, Diego kept his head low and snuck over to the car that was parked in front of the one they were hiding beside.

Lila turned to the other two, a small smile on her face as she offered, "After you."

Five leaned forward towards her, his eyes narrowed as he scrutinized her face. His usually pale cheeks were tinged with pink from the cold, and his eyes were untrusting as he stared at Lila.

She raised her eyebrows. "What, I can't be polite?"

"Cut the crap. All right?" he scoffed. "My dimwitted brother might buy your bullshit, but I don't trust you for a second."

An amused smile grew onto Lila's face as she stared back at him and quirked an eyebrow. "O ye of little faith."

Five leaned forward, the irritation on his face now more evident than ever as he muttered, "Stick it up your ass."

With a little smirk, Lila turned and followed Diego to the car in front of them.

"Really?" Elizabeth whispered to Five, rolling her eyes. "You have to do that now?"

He glanced back at her. "Yes."

With a sigh, Elizabeth accepted his answer and the two of them hurriedly made their way to where the other two were crouching. Diego was looking over the trunk of this car, his eyes fixated on the security guards.

Once the coast was clear, Diego gestured for the three of them to follow him.

Rather than heading to the front and probably getting caught, the four of them rounded the large building and went to the back, where a big garden greeted them. It was covered in exotic flowers and towering trees, and a couple of guests roamed around as they savoured the sunlight.