39 - Runways (EP. 04)

Start from the beginning

“Nothing, don’t worry,” He led her back to their designated area, “I don’t know. I just feel less nervous with you around... If that’s okay.”

“More than okay, and that’s just so sweet,” Elsa linked their arms together, “We should listen, you know.”

“... With that speech done, I am very glad to inform you all that we made the final decisions regarding this year’s awardees with absolute finesse, so rest assured, everything has been judged fairly. And let me tell you, there were no second thoughts as soon as we selected the main victor.”

Elsa’s breath grew ragged. While she knew their performance was simply outstanding, without any hint of prejudice—she did watch the entire show with observance which only sought how nearly as excellent the other brands did under the spotlight.

“I am also disappointed to announce that one brand had to be disqualified, despite its satisfactory presentation.”

At John’s last solemn statement, gasps evolved around the audience collectively. Elsa shot the senior among them a brief glance, and Liam successfully noticed and reading the way the Creative Director returned it, Elsa knew that he had taken things to his own hands during the show break.

“It is also decided for us to not mention that respective culprit, as we are live right now. The media will take their cue soon concerning the issue, with flawless evidences given. Now, I would like to tell everybody a brief history about the brand found victorious.”

The unceasing murmurs of gossip finally came to a halt before the M.C’s words.

The suspense was teasing Aiden so tauntingly—why couldn’t the guy just get to the damn point? But somehow Aiden was thankful the announcement wasn’t transpiring in breakneck speed or else he would have fainted. It didn’t even hurt when Elsa’s nails dug into the skin of his wrist because he too was busy keeping his heartbeat in check.

There were far too many questions pouring into his head in overwhelming waves, and he was just simply a voyager holding on to the wheel for dear life because everything depended on how he commanded the tides before. Passion was superior over glory. Had he done his best? Had he did everything out of want?

Elsa turned to him.

Aiden turned to her.

They looked at each other in unison.

Breathless as ever and deprived of restraint, Elsa enveloped herself in his arms, while he could only stand frozen near her touch as he whispered ‘whatever happens’ repeatedly to her hair.

Whatever happens—it won’t dictate my emotions.

Whatever happens—you were happy, you made me happy.

Whatever happens—I won’t be a failure.

“Arendelle Co. was founded in the capital of Norway by Joan Ingrid Arendelle dating back to 1934. Due to the newbie businesswoman’s perseverance and dedication, the beginner brand’s first ever line of outerwear earned quite an impressive revenue in a span of a year.”

Unashamedly, tears began to cascade down Aiden’s cheeks.

This was ‘next time.’

“One thing led after the other, and at first, Arendelle Co. began to open up almost a hundred of its branches all around Oslo and other cities of Norway. The brand was well known for its fine leather and fabric, and the brand soon expanded over to other particular materials.”

He looked down towards the head of blond resting against his chest and he raised her chin for her to face him directly, unveiling the tears mutually rolling down her face. Aiden kissed a tear away—one, two and another—he never did liked seeing her cry, but just this once he did—ever so wonderfully he did because he was so happy he could burst.

“Let us now welcome to the stage, the one and only, Miss Elsa Arendelle!”

Aiden flashed the woman in his arms a watery smile, urging her to go with a nudge forward as the exalted crowds surrounding them broke into a wild applause. Her slight hesitancy washed away in an instant when congratulations came from different directions alongside praises in reverence to their triumph.

Elsa didn’t dare let Aiden’s hand slip from hers.

Astounded before his girlfriend’s gesture, Aiden found himself along for the walk, and the air in his chest plunged into his lungs so deeply after taking a step up into the short collection of stairs leading under the roving bright lights.

The cold surface of the trophy startled the skin of Elsa’s fingers—but even the odd sensation felt too wonderful for her to mind, and her cheeks were growing sore from the abiding smile unwavering from her face.

She heard John ask her if she would like anything to say.

“F-first of all...” she managed to begin–

Breathe.

“I would like to admit that I’ve never been interested to attend a single seasonal runway, or any show, for that matter. I’ve never had a real dream—a dream where I’ll have to work extremely hard, where I have to involve blood and sweat.

“I have ambitions, yes. Anyone aiming for something do too. A goal only needs to be achieved; but a dream requires to be reached. I’m a really curious woman. I’ve always wondered, how would that feel like. To start from scratch.”

She clutched the base of the award tightly, more tears pouring out of her eyes.

“It may not sound so special to all of you, or perhaps it wouldn’t appear as a big deal... But seeing a dream being granted before my very eyes ended those questions immediately. Time is something as precious as wealth... pouring every ounce of it to passion is splendid. And seeing the distance, between then and now, with time itself as well—makes me glad to be a witness.”

At first, the entire venue succumbed into silence. Elsa guessed it was their bewilderment, owing to how long her speech lasted. She hasn’t been crying for the whole time, wasn’t she?

All worries washed away briefly when another rowdy applause erupted among the audience.

“Well said, Miss Arendelle,” John clapped, “Though, may I ask you a little favor?”

Elsa nodded with a polite smile.

“Would you mind staying on the stage as we invite your Creative Director for the International Award?”

Eyes fixated on her feet—then to glossy emeralds from where Aiden stood in tow—Elsa shook her head with a chuckle.

“Arendelle Co’s Creative Director is just standing right behind me, John.”

To be continued
on the next chapter...