Chapter Fifty (Part two)

Start from the beginning

Luckily, the man had his back to her. Rebecca pressed herself against the wall and willed her breathing to slow.

The two men stared each other down, both adrenalized with the intent to kill. The energy in the air was magnetic; Rebecca felt as if she was being pulled into the destruction that would surely follow. She was relieved that Kayden was okay – save for the reddening bruise on his left cheek. His eyes darted to her for a brief second before snapping back to Marik.

The man's head tilted as he analysed Kayden. "Don't be sad about Chris. He was weak. He deserved to die."

Rebecca bit her lip as fresh tears stung her eyes.

"That boy had one job and he couldn't fucking do it right." He wound his neck, loosening his muscles as if preparing for a mere sparring session and not a deathmatch. "Everything happens for a reason."

The painful fracture in Rebecca's wrist meant nothing at that point. The gun felt right in her hands now, like a bionic appendage that had grown nerves. She had no knowledge of handguns, didn't know a thing about silencers, safety and revolvers, but she did know one thing...

Marik had to die.

She raised tremulous arms and aimed the barrel at the centre of his head. Her heartbeat pounded in her ears and her throat struggled to swallow. Still, she held her breath, waiting for the perfect moment.

Marik sighed and relaxed his shoulders. The air went still. Then, "You shooting or what?"

Her heart dropped.

Shit!

Rebecca pulled the trigger. Her shoulder clicked from the impact. In the same breath, Marik spun around with wide, deranged eyes and advanced towards her, the bullet missing his head by a few inches and hitting the far wall by the door.

Kayden was equally fast, rushing forward and slamming Marik to the ground. The man wasn't ready for the attack and he fell hard, his chin smacking the floor. Kayden straddled his spine to loop his arm around Marik's neck and choke him from behind.

Rebecca stepped backwards until her back brushed the wall again. She was terrified that Marik was so close to getting her and anxious as Kayden subdued him like a feral beast.

Marik ogled her with a malevolent smile. "Sh-she enjoyed it," he rasped, spit flying from his mouth.

Kayden paused. It was only brief, but the statement caught him off guard.

Marik's gaze was demonic, pinning Rebecca to the spot from sheer fear alone. She felt the ghost of his touch polluting her body, his rough hands gripping her breasts as he laughed maniacally and threatened to defile her. She had been stuck in that room with him for what felt like hours, gradually losing hope and feeling sick under his caresses, until Kayden burst in with Chris in tow.

It was as if Marik could sense her vivid flashback. He grinned lecherously, saliva wetting his chin. "Tell him," he demanded quietly. "Tell him you liked it–"

Kayden dug his knee into his back and yanked on his neck, bending his spine. "I'll fucking kill you."

His hostile expression sent shivers through Rebecca. She was sure she heard a bone pop. Marik's strangled cry instantly confirmed it.

There were more sounds of cracking bones and gargling as Marik gasped for air. Then he chuckled; a deep, bubbling snicker curdling from his chest as he bent his head forward. His body went still.

Before Rebecca could sigh in relief, Marik's head sprung up and whacked Kayden's face in a swift headbutt. Kayden's grip tightened. Marik did it again, bashing his head against Kayden's, just as he began to twist the older man's neck. He did it a fifth time, and the collision between head and nose made Rebecca wince.