Happily Ever After?

Once I stepped out of the town car that Xavior had arranged for me I looked at the small business area that had "Happily Ever After Wedding Planning" written in the center. I closed the door and the driver rolled down the window for a conversation that I had no interest in. 

"Would you like me to wait here ma'am?" he asked, barely holding his head up enough to see me under his hat. 

"No, just stay close." I waved my hand dismissively and climbed the five steps to the see-through window, my heels clicking on the hard pavement under my feet.

I entered and was greeted by a young woman, not even thirty I am sure, as she stopped typing to rise to say 'hello' to me with the smile that was so sweet it could catch flies.

"Hello! Welcome to 'Happily Ever After'! We are going to make all of YOUR wedding dreams come true! My name is Jackson, a boy's name, I know. Are you Miss. Lillian?"

"Yes" was the curt answer I gave, trying to keep all conversations short and easy.

"Great! Mrs. Donnavon has cleared her day to help you start planning the event of your life! She is finishing a conference call, but I am sure she will be with you in just a-"

"No need to finish Jackson, I am already here and ready to meet this lovely bride." 

Mrs. Donnavon was an old lady, at least compared to me. Tall and nearly beginning to push her weight too far as her sagging, wrinkled skin was stretched to accommodate the weight it had not expected at her age. Short blond hair framed her rounded sagging face she tried to cover up with surprisingly perfect makeup. She was decked out with her most decadent clothing she had in her closet, no doubt to impress me, her most high end client. Designer after designer was layered on to her. I am sure that she had just put on the only designer things in her closet, I based this off the fact that nothing matched and a woman that has been working with the most prestigious people in the world most likely knew how to dress herself before I entered the establishment. She had a smile but sincere smile to great me with and she motioned me to enter the office. She gave a nod to Jackson as I was entering the room, I believe I was not meant to see the exchange so I ignored it nonetheless.

"Welcome to my life's work. Your fiancé called me to have me organize the best wedding possible! He said money is not an issue and that he leaves all the wedding details up to you and me. To begin, I thought we would discuss you and your fiancé, just so I could get an idea about your relationship so we can build around that."

In a desprate move to pretend like our realtionship hadn't fallen apart since my pregnancy, I only told the stories of when Xavior and I had first met. When all the love had been fresh and intense. When my body was less desirable than the one i have been given now. 

Retelling the past made it feel like the present. I could feel the electricity in my body again, it had been gone for so long. I felt my cheeks flush recalling our first kiss and how stupid I had acted but how breathless his lips had left me.

I had almost forgotten when we hadn't been fighting or when he phone wasn't filled with messages that I wasn't meant to see. 

I felt the electricity beginning to fade and the blood in my cheeks turning cold.

Remembering what we were is nothing what we are now. The kisses have turned to something that could only be described as cold desire. Desire of the body, never of the mind, and never filled with the love we had once shared.

His arms wrapped around me at night have become more like a cage holding me as a prisoner and less life safety engulfing my body. Our cold feet touch, but neither of our lifeless bodies can warm each other anymore. We have turned each other into ice and not even a fire can melt us.