Chapter 16: Beyond

Start from the beginning

"Never looked better man," Erik comments.

Clearly, Hank doesn't appreciate this. His paw wraps around Erik's neck, strangling him. Spooked, I jump away as he does. Erik gasps and struggles for air.

"Hank..." dad starts.

"Don't mock me."

"Hank, put him down immediately, please. Hank! Hank!"

Finally, Hank releases Erik. He takes a large breath. At this point, Erik's eyes are fairly wide as he touches his throat. I rush to him, seeing if there's any sort of marking on his throat—as if I had any medical training to help if he actually did.

"I wasn't!" he tells the now angry Hank.

"Even I've got to admit you look pretty bad to the bone," Alex states. "I think I got a new name for you now—Beast."

"You sure you can fly this thing?" Banshee asks Beast, referring to the plane.

"Course I can. I designed it."

We all begin to walk towards the plane. I move over to Hank as we walk. He doesn't seem to mind. I smile at him as I do.

"Thanks," I tell him, nodding at the owl stitched on my suit. "Beast."

"It fits you, Athena."

As I approach the plane, a sharp pain forms in the side of my head. It's as if someone is stabbing me continuously with a knife. I hit my knees and exclaim, placing my palm on the side of my head. The agony only persists.

"Elizabeth Grace!"

Dad's voice sounds so far away. I'm not in this room anymore, doubting that it's even possible—despite seeing it in front of my eyes. I see a beach. I hear bullets firing and a shout. I feel blood on my hands. Everything around me seems to move at warp speed. It's as if my brain is trying to take in something more than what I'm seeing but just doesn't have the ability. Suddenly, as quickly as it appeared, it all vanishes.

"Look at me, sweetheart," I hear dad saying quickly and anxiously. "Look at me."

"Please," I start. "Something's wrong. I saw something. A flash. I have an awful feeling."

"It's alright. Are you ok?"

"I think so. I seem fine now."

"Alright. We need to go."

He helps me to my feet, and we board the plane. I strap in between Alex and Erik. I can feel the nervous, yet excited, energy throughout the plane.

When we actually make it there, the scene unfolding isn't good. Warships face each other, fully prepared for battle. Tensions are high as the cargo ship is bound for the embargo line.

"It looks pretty messy out there," Hank states.

"Everyone on those ships is prepared for battle," I add. "The soldiers are all extremely nervous. They know what the cargo ship crossing the embargo line means. They've prepared to fire at almost a moment's notice. Dad, I can't find-"

"Shaw. I know. I can't either."

"Dad... the cargo ship."

As both of us look down into the mind of one of the sailors aboard the cargo ship, Aral Sea, something is highly wrong. The teleporter is at the helm. The rest of the crew...

"The crew of the Aral Sea are all dead," dad announces. "Shaw's been there."

"He's still here somewhere," Erik says.