one

edited

My heart hammered in my chest as I walked out of the small home, my social worker smiling at me as I walk towards her car. 

"Ready to see your brother, sweetheart?" Kendra asks with a smile, I nod and slowly climb into the car. 

One year, 2 months, and 8 days. 

The one person I have in this world and I haven't seen him in over a year. It was my own fault we got separated, but I did what I needed to do and because of that he was in a good home apparently that was also taking me in.

It still hasn't processed that this family had sought me out and want me in there home. Although it won't last long, I'm not an idiot. 

They'll bring me in, something will happen and I'll get kicked out. I've been through this before. 

The nice sweet family wanting to help a troubled foster kid and then realizes they can't handle it. And I'll be back in that hell hole with Steve, my now former foster dad. 

"Alright, we're here." Her words pull me from the great inevitable, my eyes land on a beautiful large home with a porch swing. 

Picture perfect.

We get out of the car and walk up the front door, Kendra rings the bell and a smiling blonde women answers the door. Her eyes land on me and her smile widens, "Welcome home, Kate"

Home.

 She means foster home, I'm 16 almost 17. In exactly 14 months, I'll age out of the system. 

No way in hell am I going to be adopted in the next 14 months. Hell, I give this whole thing 6 months before I'm kicked to the curb. 

Slowly walking into the home, I spot him. My not so little brother anymore, he grins at me and pulls me into a hug. 

Since when is he taller than me? And when did he gain so much muscle?

"You have no idea how badly I missed you, Kate" He whispers, all I do is nod and hug him back. 

Finally we pull away but keeps his arm around my shoulders. 

"This is our brother, Jackson. Dad, Daniel and Mom, Dana." He points them out, Daniel and Dana seem nice enough. Jackson worries me, he looks to be a typical jock. I stay far away from jocks, all they care about is sports and hooking up. I don't need more things in my life that will further make it hell.

I couldn't help but notice he used the 'mom' and 'dad'. We have parents, we don't need two random people who are using us as charity cases to brag to their friends. 

Dana had been focusing on my clothes and busted face to notice her name had been called. She snaps out of her judgmental state and her smile reappears. 

"I'm sure you're tired, lets show you to your room" Unsurely I follow her up the stairs and down a hallway. She grins at me before opening a door, with a singular bed like the room is only one person's room and bed.

"Connor told us you liked darker colors and green, but if there is any changes you want to make just let us know and it will be no problem. Also there are some clothes for you in the closet until we can go shopping." She points, my eyes are glued to the bed. 

Was this only my room?

 Connor seems to sense my thoughts as he nudges me, "This is all yours, sis. No more sharing beds, rooms, or sleeping on couches"

Dana and Connor smile at me as I take in everything. 

A desk under the window that faces the beach, a dresser with a small tv on top, nightstands on either side of the bed. And best of all, a basket on the bed with hygiene products, snacks, fuzzy socks, and a couple other little things.