♔CHAPTER TWO♔

"PEOPLE LIKE ETHICAL THIEVES, RIGHT?"
»»————-« ⋅ʚ🧡ɞ⋅ »————-««
(Y/N)s POV

(Y/N) was orphaned at such a young age that she had no recollections of what it would of been like to have parents.

Perhaps that was a mercy. If she had remembered the hugs, the warmth of being cared for, being scooped off her feet the minute her lower lip trembled, then she wouldn't have lasted a week on the streets.

Only tough guys survived these days. Even if it meant swooping to desperate measures. But it had worked for her. Through criminal activity she had worked her way up from sleeping in the gutter outside filthy alleyways to a semi-comfortable life at an orphanage. She got good food now, a bed and respect. But in exchange, she had become someone her parents would have been terrified of.

"(Y/N)!" A familiar voice called from afar, snapping you out of your thoughts. Waiting at the foot of the orphanage was a petite young girl; she was dressed in a worn-down baby blue dress and flimsy black slippers. Her skin was a beautiful shade of brown with patches of cream along her matted fur, and it glimmered in the sun as she scrambled to her feet at the sight of you.

A bright pink bow that you got for her birthday was entwined in her messy blonde hair. You thought it would compliment her eyes when you first saw it, so you happily stole it off a snobby upperclass woman that was walking by. She was ecstatic when you first gave it to her. She treated the bow like a relic, always making sure it was clean and tidy, and never letting anyone but you touch it. You would give the world to protect that innocent smile of hers. And so far, that innocent smile you grew to love was plastered across her face as she ran into your arms. "Welcome back big sis!"

You gladly accepted the hug, letting out a small 'oof' as she crashed into you. A chuckle escaped you as you ruffled her hair playfully, making sure to mind her small deer-like horns "Lilith! What are you doing up so early?" It was nearly 9am, the sun was out and the streets were busy. Any normal person would be up and ready by now, however for such lazy person like Lilith, this was new.

"I..." She buried her face in the hem of your dirty shirt, trying her best to hide the worry that was brewing within her. Slowly, that wide grin dissolved into nothingness. "I noticed that you weren't in bed...and I got scared"

Ouch.

A pinch of guilt hit you. It seems like you weren't quiet enough when sneaking out to get some food. The orphanage did provide breakfast, but times were becoming hard here in the kingdom. Poorer parts of the land were going through another famine. Prices for food was rising because of the demanding market, and toast could only do so much to fuel a wild all-over-the-place adult such as yourself.

You sighed in defeat, rocking on your heels as you softly calmed the girl. "I'm sorry for not telling you, Lilith." A warm smile washed over you. You had to try and make up for this, and you knew just how to "I thought I could surprise you with..." You slowly reached into your trouser pocket, capturing the young girls attention before pulling out a shiny, red apple "This!"

A large gasp escaped the little girl. Like love at first sight, Liliths hands reached out for the glossy apple, her mouth watering at the mere sight of proper food.

"Is...is that for..." She gulped "Me?" Lilith pointed at herself, making double sure that she wasn't hearing things. Apples (in-season ones especially) were almost unheard of around these parts. So it was no surprise she was so wary.