Part 7

Dumbledore cleared his throat.

"As I was saying, Mr. Crouch has worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the TriWizard Tournament. He will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxine on the panel that will judge the champions efforts."

At the mention of the word "champions" the attentiveness of the listening students seemed to sharpen.

Filch, who had been lurking unnoticed in a far corner of the Hall, approached Dumbledore carrying a large wooden chest encrusted with jewels.

"As you know, three champions will compete in the tournament," Dumbledore continued as Filch placed the chest carefully on the table before him. "One from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the tasks and the champion with the highest points in the end will win the TriWizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire."

Dumbledore took out his wand and tapped three times upon the casket. The lid creaked open. He then reached inside and pulled out a large hewn wooden cup filled to the brim with blue dancing flames.

He then closed the casket and placed the goblet carefully on top where it was clearly visible to everyone in the Hall.

"Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament will write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it into the flame before this very hour on Friday night. Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's no going back. Also after much deliberation, the Ministry has decided that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen will be allowed to put forth their name. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she will be obliged to see the tournament through the end. The placing of your name constitutes a binding magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you become a champion. Please be very sure that you are wholeheartedly prepared to do your part before you place your name into the goblet. Now, let the feast begin!"