Part 27

Dumbledore had spoken to the school. He didn't mention Cedric at all, but merely asked everyone tp leave Harry alone, and to not ask about what happened. Harry was incredibly distant, barely looking present during lessons and almost ignoring the whispers and stares as he passed in the corridors.

Anne, meanwhile was facing her own crisis. Ever since she saw the sinister mark on her father's arm, she had become withdrawn and distant.  She also couldn't understand how she saw the vision of  Voldemort's resurrection and Cedric dying. What was happening to her? Was her magic becoming unstable, or like Harry, could she possess powers she didn't know she had; like seeing things that are happening or about to happen? 

As for her father..... she didn't know what to think. She was conflicted. What was going to happen now that she knew his dark secret? Was he going to go back to being Death Eater now that Voldemort had returned?

On the last day of term, she, Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered the Great Hall for the Leaving Feast. They saw that the usual decorations were missing. There were black drapes on the walls. Anne knew instantly that they were there as a mark of respect for Cedric.

It was hard to believe that he was gone. All the times she had with Cedric now seemed like distant memories. When she met with Cedric's family, she offered them her condolences as well as expressing what a good friend Cedric was. However, she dared not mention their brief relationship not wanting to upset his parents further for fear of coming under scrutiny. She had enough to deal with.

Dumbledore stood in front of the whole school. 

"Today we acknowledge a terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, fair minded, and most importantly a fierce loyal friend. I think you have the right to know exactly how he came to an unfortunate end. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory. The pain we all feel at this dreadful time reminds us all that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."

"In the light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we have made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. We'll celebrate a boy who was kind, honest, brave, and true to the very end."

Anne felt that Dumbledore's speech had unblocked her somehow. It was less painful to discuss what had happened now with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They could sympathize how she felt losing someone she had liked and cared about. But she couldn't tell them about the dark secret she had just uncovered about her father.

One thing was certain though. Nothing would ever be the same now that Voldemort had returned.