Part 12

"Hey, Anne, come here! Got something to show you!" Draco called out to her.

It was two days later. Anne had just gotten out of Herbology class. She looked over at Draco who was waving at her in the courtyard. Apprehensively, she approached him and his two friends Crabbe and Goyle who were looking quite smug.

When she got close, she saw that each of them were wearing a large badge on the front of their robes.

Draco held up his badge. "Check it out."

Anne looked at the badge seeing an image of Cedric on a bright yellow background with a message below. Support Cedric Diggory---The Real Hogwarts Champion!

"Like them?" asked Draco. "And that's not all---look!"

He pressed the badge into his chest, and the image changed into Harry on a green background with the words Potter Stinks!

"What do you think?" Draco reached into his robe pockets and held out a badge to Anne. "Want one? I've got loads. Aren't they awesome?"

"Real funny, Draco," said Anne sarcastically. "Very classic..." she took the badge. "However, I think I prefer to stick by people who would have the decency to show some common sense!" She then chucked the badge over the side of one of the ledges.

Draco yelled something at her but Anne was too angry to listen as she turned and headed up to the castle.

Charging up the steps she almost didn't see who was coming her way. "Cedric!"

"Hi Anne," said Cedric. He was surrounded by several of his friends who eyed Anne keenly. "How's it going?"

Anne shrugged. "What do you think? The last couple of weeks have been....especially after what happened when...."

"Oh yeah, that," Cedric responded, knowing what she meant. He then turned to his friends. "Would you guys excuse us for a minute?"

Anne was relieved. She would have found it hard to talk to Cedric if his friends had stuck around.

"Look, about what happened that night when the champions were selected," said Cedric once they were alone, "I just want to say....and you can tell Harry, since you're good friends with him, that I believe him about not putting his name in the goblet."

"You do?"

"Yes. I could tell he didn't really want this. I wish there was something could be done so he doesn't have to participate in the tournament."

"That's very considerate of you, Cedric," said Anne sadly. "But according to what Harry told me, he has no choice but to compete in the tournament. So it looks like both of you will be competing against each other."

"I see," replied Cedric. "Well, if you see him, tell him I don't hold any hard feelings against him. Whatever happens, we'll treat each other as equals. And I totally believe in his innocence."

Tentatively, Anne reached out to touch his arm. "That's very kind of you. I couldn't think of a better way--"

"Hey Cedric!"

They both turned to see Harry hurrying down from the castle toward them. He pushed his way through several people who hurl several insults at him and flash their Potter Stinks badges at him.

Once he reached Cedric and Anne, he was out of breath but had the look of urgency on his face. "Cedric, there's something I gotta tell you," he said obviously sounding important.

"What is it?" asked Cedric.

"Dragons. That's the first task," Harry blurted out. "They got one for each of us."

Anne stared at him incredulous, her eyes wide with fear. Did Harry just tell them that they would be facing dragons in the first task?

"Are you serious?" asked Cedric dumbfounded and unsure if Harry was telling the truth. But the way Harry looked and sounded convinced him it was no joke. "Do Fleur and Viktor know?"

"Yes," replied Harry serious.

"All right." Cedric quickly glanced up toward the castle to see his friends flashing their Potter Stinks badges before putting them in their pockets of bags. "Hey listen, about the badges. I asked them not to wear them."

"Don't worry about it," said Harry waving him off.

"I'm sorry you've had to put up with that, Cedric," said Anne warily. "Even though I am a Slytherin, I assure you I was not part of their scheme of making those stupid badges."

"It's okay," Cedric assured her. "And I agree, those badges are pretty stupid. Also, I know you're not the type who would do things that like that; you seem like a nice decent person."

Anne smiled at his comment.

"Why so tense, Potter?" Draco sneered appearing at the scene. "My father and I have a bet you see. I don't think you're gonna last ten minutes in this tournament. My father disagrees. He thinks you won't last five!"

"Why don't you mind your business, Draco!" Anne shouted.

"I don't give a damn what you or your father thinks, Malfoy!" Harry retorted. "He's vile and cruel, and you're just pathetic!" He started to walk away but Draco raised his wand.

Suddenly, Moody appeared with his wand raised. He pointed at Draco transforming him into a ferret.

"I'll teach you to cast when someone's back is turned!" Moody growled. He made the ferret fly ten feet into the air, and let it fall to the ground before making it hover.

Anne, Cedric, and several people laughed at the performance.

"Professor Moody! What are you doing?!" cried a shocked voice. It was Professor McGonagall.

"Is that a student?!" she shrieked when she saw the ferret.

He sent the ferret crawling up the trouser leg of Crabbe who squirmed and thrashed around. "Technically it's a ferret."

"No!" McGonagall pulled out her wand; a moment later, Draco reappeared lying in a heap. He got to his feet wincing.

"My father will hear about this!" Draco threatened.

"I could tell you stories about your father that would curl your greasy head, boy!" Moody growled menacingly.

Draco took off eager to get as far away as possible.

"Professor Moody, we never use Transfiguration as a punishment," said McGonagall sternly. "Surely Dumbledore told you that."

"He might have mentioned it," said Moody with distain.

"Well, you would do well to remember that."

Once Professor McGonagall had gone, Moody turned to Harry, telling him to come with him.