Part 19

The brisk breeze felt good as Anne wondered through the courtyard, her teal dress flowing across the snowy ground as she walked between the carriages.

The front doors stood open, and the fluttering fairy lights in the rose garden winked and twinkled as she strolled past bushes, winding, ornamental paths, and large stone statues.

She paused next to one of the carriages where she could hear the sounds of a couple making out inside. Feeling like she was intruding on their privacy, she scurried away. She was making her way back to the archway near the main entrance when she heard an unpleasant familiar voice.

"....I don't see what there is to fuss about, Igor."

"Severus, you cannot pretend this isn't happening!" Karkaroff's voice sounded anxious and hushed, as though keen not to be overheard. "It's been getting clearer and clearer for months. I am becoming seriously concerned, I can't deny it ---"

"Then flee," said Snape's voice curtly. "Flee ---I will make your excuses. I, however, am remaining at Hogwarts."

Snape and Karkaroff stopped at one of the carriages. Snape opened the doors to one of them and peered inside. Squeals issued from inside as a couple emerged.

"Ten points from Ravenclaw, Fawcett! Ten points from Hufflepuff, Stebbins!" Snape snarled as the couple hurried away.

Quickly, Anne hid behind one of the castle pillars as she heard her father's footsteps approaching. She waited until he stormed away past her hiding place before rejoining her friends in the Great Hall.

When the Weird Sisters finished playing at midnight, everyone gave them a last, loud round of applause and started to wend their way out into the entrance hall. Many people were expressing the wish that the ball could have gone on longer, but Anne was perfectly happy to be going to bed.

Out in the entrance hall, Harry, Anne, and Ron saw Hermione saying good night to Viktor before he went back to the Durmstrang ship. She gave Ron a very cold look.

"He's using you!" Ron spat out.

"How dare you!" yelled Hermione. The pain was clearly evident on her face. "Besides, I can take care of myself!"

"Doubt it. He's too old for you."

"Is that what you think?!"

"Yeah, that is what I think," replied Ron bitterly.

Anne spoke up, hating the way Hermione was being treated. "You know the solution, don't you, Ron?"

"Oh yeah?" Ron snapped at her. "What's that?"

Anne sighed in exasperation. Boys could be so stupid sometimes!

"Next time there's a ball pluck up the courage and ask me before somebody else does, and not as a last resort!" Hermione shouted before turning on her heel and storming up the stairs.

"You spoil everything, Ron!" Anne spat before storming down to the Slytherin dungeons.

Soon as she reached the dungeons, Anne was eager to get back to her dormitory. She was almost at the stonewall that led to the Slytherin common room when she heard her father's cold voice.

"Miss Borden, may I speak with you....alone?"

Anne stifled a groan. Was he going to berate her for going with Harry to the ball? With a sinking feeling, she followed Snape to his office. She kept her head held high; she was not going to let him spoil the remainder of her evening no matter how much he would provoke her.

"Yes, Professor?"

Snape scanned her from head to toe, trying to take in the image that stood before him. "Why are you dressed like that?"

Anne was speechless for a moment, then recovered, her voice icy. "What's wrong with the way I am dressed?! This was a dance, in case you haven't noticed. How else was I suppose to dress? A lot of girls were dressed like me!"

"Don't be impertinent," Snape replied coldly. "Why did you choose that particular dress? And why are you wearing your hair in that style?"

Anne was mystified. What could her dress and hair possibly matter to her father?

"I made the dress from a copy I saw in one of my wizarding magazines. Hermione and Ginny did my hair and makeup. Why? Why do you care?"

Her father doesn't answer; he continues to stare at her though trying to figure out if she was telling the truth. Finally he answers, "Very well. You may leave."

Anne turned on her heel and started making her way out. Her father was obviously rattled by something, something to do with her appearance this evening.

She was almost to the door when she heard Snape hiss in pain. Startled, she turned and saw him clutch his left forearm.

"Go! Now!" he hissed at her.

Anne didn't move at first. She had never seen him in intense pain like this. Not only that but she could see that there was some fear associated with that pain.

"I told you to leave!" he bellowed. "Get out! Now!"

Finally, she turned and fled wanting to get as far away as possible.