Part 10

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," Dumbledore announced. "Now when the champion's names are called, I will ask them to come forward and go through into the next chamber" --- he indicated to the side door behind the staff table---"where they will be receiving their first instructions."

The flames inside the goblet turned red. Sparks began to fly from it. A flame shot out, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of the flame---the whole hall gasped.

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment. Everyone waited anxiously.

"The champion for Durmstrang is......Viktor Krum!"

The Durmstrang crowd cheered as Viktor Krum rose from the Slytherin table and approached Dumbledore, shaking his hand; then disappeared through the side door.

A second piece of parchment shot out.

"The champion for Beauxbatons......Fleur Delacour!"

Some of the Beauxbatons girls looked disappointed as Fleur walked up. Two of the girls broke down crying.

Silence fell again, but this time it was stiff with excitement. The Hogwarts champion was next....

Dumbledore caught a third parchment.

"The Hogwarts champion.........Cedric Diggory!"

Every single Hufflepuff had jumped to his or her feet cheering and applauding as Cedric made his way past them, grinning broadly, and headed off toward the side door where the other champions were waiting. Indeed, the applause for Cedric went on so long that it was some time before Dumbledore could make himself be heard again.

"Excellent! We now have our three champions. But in the end, only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory: the TriWizard Cup!"

People cheer, but are then silenced when the goblet glows red again. Another piece of parchment flies out of the flames.

Dumbledore takes it and reads.....Harry Potter

"Harry Potter!"

Harry sat there aware that every head in the Great Hall had turned to look at him. He was stunned. He felt numb. He turned to Ron and Hermione; beyond them, he saw the Gryffindors watching him, openmouthed.

"No....no!" Anne whispered horrified. "This can't be happening! This cannot be happening!"

"Harry Potter!" Dumbledore shouted again. "Up here, if you please!"

"Go on, Harry," Hermione whispered persistent.

Harry got to his feet and slowly made his way up. He glanced over at the Slytherin table to see Anne who looked just as dumbfounded as he did. Dumbledore led him through the side door.

As soon as Harry had gone, everyone in the Great Hall started talking to each other at once. Anne sat there in shocked silence.

There had to be some mistake. Harry couldn't compete in the TriWizard Tournament. He was only fourteen. Someone had to have put his name in the Goblet of Fire. But who? It had to be someone who wanted him dead!