Part 6

Once everyone was seated in the Great Hall, Dumbledore rose from his seat at the Head Table, his face flushed with excitement.

"Now that we're all settled and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle was not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The TriWizard Tournament."

"Now for those of you who do not know, the TriWizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Let me clear, if chosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxine."

A group of young witches dressed in blue enter the Great Hall doing an exotic dance releasing butterflies in the air. They are followed by a large giant of a woman who was dressed from head to toe in purple satin. They all bow.

"And now for our friends from the north, please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and the high master Igor Karkaroff."

A series of older boys enter and walk up the aisle brandishing bow staffs, twirling them around and periodically stabbing them into the ground with a spark effect.

"I don't believe it!" Ron gasped in a stunned voice as he caught a glimpse at one of the Durmstrang boys. "It's Krum! It's Viktor Krum!"

"For heaven's sake, Ron, he's only a Quidditch player," said Hermione.

"He's not just a Quidditch player! He's one of the best Seekers in the world!" said Ron in awe. "I had no idea he was still in school!"

Once the students of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were settled, Dumbledore once more called for attention.

"I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, is what awaits the student who wins the tournament. But to do this, that student must survive three extremely dangerous tasks."

"For this reason, the Ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this, we have the Head of the Department of International Magic Cooperation Mr. Bartimus Crouch!"

Thunder roared overhead as one of the side doors opened. A strange man stood in the doorway. Every head in the Great Hall swiveled toward the stranger, suddenly illuminated by a flash of lightning. He lowered his hood, shook out a long mane of grizzled, gray hair, then began to walk up toward the Head Table.

Another flash of lightning had thrown the man's face into sharp relief, and it was unlike any face Anne had ever seen. It looked as though it had been carved out of weathered wood by someone whoo had only the vaguest idea of what human faces are supposed to look like. Every inch of skin seemed to be scarred. But it was the man's eyes that made him frightening.

One of them was small, dark, and beady. The other was large and a vivid electric blue. The eye was moving ceaselessly without blinking, and was rolling up, down, and from side to side.

"Bloody hell! It's Mad-Eye Moody!" said Ron.

"Who?" asked Anne nerved.

"Alastor Moody? The Auror?" said Hermione.

Anne looked at both of them confused. "How do you two know this strange wizard? I've never heard of him."

"He's one of the best aurors of all time. He was a catcher," Ron explained. "Half the cells in Azkaban are full thanks to him. He's suppose to be mad as a hatter though these days."

After greeting Dumbledore and settling himself down, Anne and a few others watched as Moody takes a small bottle from his pocket and drinks.

"What do you suppose he's drinking?" someone asked.

"I don't know but I don't think it's pumpkin juice," said Harry.

As Anne stared at Moody, she felt a shiver pass through her. The back of her neck prickled. She turned away rubbing the back of her neck.

"Anne, are you all right?" asked Harry noticing her discomfort.

"I'm fine," she lied.