Part 16

Anne was making her way toward the dungeons when she saw Hermione coming around  a corner, looking surprised and almost giddy.

"What's up, Hermione?" she asked. "You look happy and shocked at the same time."

"Viktor Krum asked me to go to the ball with him!" Hermione blurted out.

"What?!" Anne exclaimed shocked.

"Viktor Krum. He asked me to the ball."

"Are you serious?"

Hermione smiled and nodded. "I happened to be in the library when he came over and wanted to talk to me."

"What did you say when he asked you?" asked Anne eagerly.

"I said yes," replied Hermione. "What about you? Has anyone asked you?"

Well, believe it or not, Malfoy asked me," said Anne laughing.

"Really? And let me guess you turned him down?"

Anne nodded. "I mean seriously, did that slimeball think I would be interested in going with him?!"

Both girls laughed.

"I asked Cedric Diggory," Anne finally admitted, her face flushing. "But he's already going with someone else."

"Oh, that's too bad."

Anne hung her head. "I don't know what I'm going to do now, Hermione. Maybe I should just forget about going."

"Hey, don't get discouraged," Hermione assured her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Harry and Ron haven't found anyone to invite. I'm sure one of them would be more than happy to go with you."

Anne was uncertain. "I don't know, Hermione. Harry and Ron are our friends. Do you think either one of them would--"

"Oh yes!" Hermione insisted. She grabbed Anne's arm. "C'mon! Let's go talk to them now."

Upon learning about Anne's disappointment, Harry was more than delighted to be her escort for the ball. She also learned that he had asked Cho Chang only to be turned down just like her. This made Anne feel a lot better.

Anne woke up on Christmas Day with a start. Wondering what had caused her abrupt return to consciousness, she opened her eyes, hearing her dormmates chatting excitedly amongst themselves. As soon as she heard them mention the ball, her heart skipped a beat. The Yule Ball was tonight! She had a lot to do to get ready.

Unwilling to confide to her dormmates of any her plans (particularly since they were all still gossiping over how she had turned down Draco). Anne had decided to make her own dress to avoid having to shop ---and answer questions --- from these same girls. She had contacted Tonks, who had sent her the pattern and material she had in mind; a dress she had seen in magazine. With a little help from Hermione and Ginny (who were sworn to secrecy), Anne's dress turns out to be spectacular. A beautiful rich teal and black, with a strapless top and a full skirt.

Anne had the dress safely hidden under her bed. When it was time to get ready, she would sneak the dress out of the Slytherin dungeons and into the girls bathroom near Gryffindor Tower where Hermione and Ginny would meet her to help her get ready.

At five o' clock, after spending the day with her friends, Anne made her way back to the Slytherin common room. She quickly showered; then gathering her dress made her way to meet Hermione and Ginny.

"Oh, Anne, you're going to look gorgeous!" squealed Hermione with excitement when Anne showed her the dress. "Wait until Harry sees you!"

Anne was secretly hoping to dazzle Cedric. Yet she feels nervous and uneasy.

"Just wait," Hermione reassures her. "Wait until I do your hair and makeup and you wear your beautiful dress. Harry will drop his teeth! And so will Cedric!"

Anne giggles as she allows Hermione and Ginny to work on her thick, unruly dark hair, arranging it in an updo with tendrils hanging down on each side of her face.

Then, using a Sleazy Hair Potion, Anne and Ginny do Hermione's hair next. They arrange it in a smooth sophisticated style.

"Wait until Viktor sees you!" Anne and Ginny enthused.

By the time Hermione and Ginny are finished, Anne is transformed. She hardly recognizes herself with the dark eyeshadow and pale lips. She looked even more dazzling when she slipped on the dress along with a pair of sparkling earrings.

"Oh Anne, you look beautiful!" Ginny gushed.

"So do you. Both of you," Anne complimented.