Part 14

The crowd was silent but when Harry appeared, they erupted into sheer applause and cheers. He snatches up the golden egg.

"You did it, Harry!" Anne cried happily as she threw her arms around him. "I was so afraid when that Horntail...." before breaking off unable to contain her emotions. "Anyway, I'm just glad you're alive..."

"You were brilliant!" Hermione exclaimed. There were fingernail marks on her face where she had been clutching in fear. "You really were!"

But Harry was looking at Ron who was very pale and staring at Harry as though he were a ghost.

"Harry," said Ron, "whoever put your name in that goblet I-I reckon they're trying to do you in."

It was as though the deuterations of their friendship had never happened----as though Harry were meeting Ron for the first time, right after he'd been made champion.

"Finally caught on, have you?" said Harry coldly. "Took you long enough."

Anne and Hermione stood nervously between them, looking from one to the other. Ron opened his mouth uncertainly. Harry knew Ron was about to apologize and suddenly he found he didn't need to hear it.

"It's all right," he said, before Ron could get the words out. "Forget it."

"No, Ron confessed. "I should've--"

"Forget it," Harry repeated.

Ron grinned nervously at him, and Harry grinned back.

Hermione burst into tears. Anne rolled her eyes.

"There's nothing to cry about!" Harry told her, bewildered.

"You two are so stupid!" Anne shouted before bursting out laughing. Then she and Hermione gave both of them hugs happy that their friendship had now been repaired.