Here For Good

"I'm telling you, I don't have any enemies." I repeat for what feels like the thousandth time.

"I know you don't think you do, but I need to know of anyone who could hold a grudge against you, or might be jealous of you...any little detail, or minor person in your life could be a huge piece of evidence and give us more of an idea of who did this." Detective Green says, giving me a pitiful look.

"I can't think of anyone...I'm sorry. I just don't understand why anyone would do this because of me. I'm in no way connected to her. Shouldn't you be asking her father and mother...her nanny... I don't know. Anybody else. I've only seen her twice in my whole life." I reiterate.

"You have more of a connection to her than you think, Ms. Weeks. Isaiah Sage is a rather large part of your life now, and according to people close to the two of you..y'all are closer than most assistants are to their bosses...and it's an important factor to the investigation." He takes a deep breath as he looks down at the table, and at the picture of the most adorable blonde, with her bright white smile. "To an objective third party...the two of you sound more like a couple than co-workers. Taking Rebecca could be a way to drive a wedge between the two of you."

The tears stream down my face as I stare at the picture of Beck, shaking my head. "I'm sorry...I can't think of anyone right now."

With a deep sigh, the detective nods his head and shuts the file on the table. "If you think of anyone, please let us know." He pushes his chair back and walks to the door. "Mr. Sage is in the waiting room down the hall, I'm sure he'd like someone to talk to right now."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaning my head against the wall outside of the doorway, I close my eyes and let myself slide down to the floor. Who on earth would take that poor, beautiful little girl away from Isaiah? Why would anyone want to hurt him like that? He's a great business man, and never screws anyone over in his deals. He doesn't have any enemies. I know Detective Green said that it could be someone on my side, too...but I just don't believe him. Why would anyone take Becca away to hurt me? I'm just the assistant.

I can feel the tears streaming down my face, and feel a sob break out of my chest.

"Kristen?" I hear a deep voice whisper above me. Looking up, I see Isaiah standing above me and looking down at me with a heartbreaking face. His eyes are red and irritated, and his face is blotchy. His usual perfect suit is ruffled up, and his tie is skewed all the way to the right, tangled up under his jacket. He walks around and sits down next to me, pulling my head against his chest. I can hear his heartbeat, and notice that it's beating a tad faster than I expected. His hand runs down my hair, and his fingers tangle themselves in the different strands as he pulls me even closer and pushes my face into the crease between his shoulder and neck. His chest bounces up and down and I feel tears fall onto my head from where he's buried his face in my hair. His broken sobs rip through him, and he pulls me tighter into him.

"They took her. They took my daughter. They took her." His broken voice sobs.

"I know." I whisper, wrapping my arms around his waist. "I know...they'll find her. They'll find her."

But I don't know if they will...and I don't want to give him false hope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fidgeting on the couch, I look around at the glass walls as people walk by, their days going on as if a beautiful girl hadn't just been taken from her life. As if her innocence wasn't on the line. How do these people go on with their lives, knowing that? I don't understand. I feel the man laying on my legs shift slightly, and I look down at his sleeping face, gently running my fingers through his hair. He looks so peaceful right now. Slowly, I drag my fingers from his hair to his face...over his eyebrows...down his nose...across his lips. His lips part, and I feel his breath rush out as he sighs quietly.

"This is backwards, you know." His deep, sleepy voice whispers.

A slight smile slips onto my face as I ask him what's backwards.

"You're the one supposed to be asleep in my lap..." He takes a deep breath in, "And I'm the one that's supposed to be watching you." His big brown eyes open and stare straight into mine. "Why is it that everything we do is always backwards?"

"What do you mean, Isaiah?"

"I mean everything we do, everything that has happened between the two of us is never how it's supposed to go. I'm not supposed to care more about your health and wellbeing than you. I'm not supposed to hurt you. You're not supposed to hurt me. If one of us falls in love with the other, it's supposed to be reciprocated..." He trails off, closing his eyes. "If I say that I can't be in your life, then that means you can't be in mine."

"Isaiah..."

"No. It's true. This isn't fair to you either." He insists, sitting up and facing me on the faux leather couch. "I told you I couldn't be in your life...it's not fair that I drag you into mine."

"It's fine, Isaiah...if I can help in any way, I will. You know that."

"That's not what I mean, Kris, and you know it. I can't be with you...I can't feel how I feel about you, but still see you every day. It only makes things stronger. And I can't handle that." He closes his eyes and takes another deep breath. "I think...I think I should let you go."

"What?" I whisper yell, feeling my eyes grow wide as the panic spreads throughout my body. "Isaiah. Please, no. Please. Don't do this to me. This is all I have going for me right now."

"I'll make sure you're taken care of until you can find another position elsewhere." He says, and I can hear the change in his voice. There's a coldness in it, like he's stopped caring. I reach out, laying my hand on his arm, but he shrugs it away. "Please. Please, just go."

"Isaiah-"

"Go." He demands, locking his eyes- no longer a warm brown color, instead a hard, almost black- on mine.

"I'm not going anywhere. Detective Green said that I could be a part of everything with Beck. I'm not going to just disappear. I care about her too, you know."

"I know you're a part of the investigation now, but I'll make sure to stay out of the way when you're needed here." He stands up and walks past me. I try and grab his wrist, but he just shakes it free.

"Isaiah!" I yell, and see a few of the officers walking past glance at us through the windows.

"Just...just stop, Kristen. This is pathetic. I'm done." He says, not looking back.

As he walks out the door, I sink back into the couch, and look down at my hands.

What the hell just happened?