Turn of Events

The speed with which Isaiah left the room, and hospital all together shocked me.

He was gone faster than I could say 'wait'. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing or not, but either way Isaiah is gone, and I'm now alone with Dyllan. His eyes question everything that he just walked in on, but he's too polite to ask. Then, his eyes shift and I know that the conversation that is about to take place is either going to break my heart worse, or...actually, I don't see another viable option.

I don't know what to say and I don't know what to do. Things between Dyllan and I used to be so easy and carefree, I never even thought of being insecure. Now? Now, I can't even look him in the eyes without thinking that I'll never be good enough for someone like him again.

"Kay..." Dyllan starts, walking closer to me and shutting the door firmly behind him. "Kay, I miss you."

"Where's Memaw?" I blurt out, wanting this conversation to never happen more than I've ever wanted anything. His green eyes immediately dull at my obvious change of subject.

"She's back at your place." He says, sitting in the chair that Isaiah just vacated on my right. The contrast between the two in the chair is astronomical. While Isaiah was large and brooding, Dyllan is strong and powerful and caring. Isaiah with his deep brown eyes and hair, and Dyllan with his green eyes and brown hair just a shade lighter than Isaiah's- thanks to spending all his time out in the sun.

"Listen, I'm sorry. I never meant to scare you away. I promise. The way I acted that day...I think about it every day. I never should have let you walk out of my life that easily. You were my whole world, and when you left...I stopped seeing the good in people, in the world...in me. I wish I could say that I tried to stay strong for you, but... I didn't. I didn't even try. When you left..." He takes a deep breath and swallows hard, looking at the ground. "I didn't just lose you that day, Kristen. I lost my whole world. I lost my future. I lost...I lost my baby girl. Both of them." When he looks up, I see in his watery eyes just how much damage I had caused. I could see everything, his whole life falling apart and the world he knew crumbling around him. "You took everything when you took yourself away from me."

"Dyll-" I start, but he cuts me off with a wave of his hand.

"No. Please. This is my chance to apologize." He says with a hard edge to his voice. "When you left me, you didn't just take away your dreams, and your life, and your future. Okay? You took away mine, too. Kristen, we were only twenty-two at the time. We had our whole lives ahead of us. There was nothing in our way to stop us from achieving everything we wanted. And every time I close my eyes, from that day forward...do you know what I see?" He looks at me questioningly, looking deep into my eyes. "I see us. I see our wedding day, and you walking down the isle with your daddy holding you up like the princess you are. I see Chelle holding our baby behind you, and smiling as she watches us kiss. I see our daughter running and laughing in the house that we bought together. I see us sitting on our back porch, watching the sun go down." Tears are making a steady path down both of our cheeks as he leans closer to me with each scenario, his voice growing louder. "I see me asking you to renew our vows after fifty years. I see us going on date nights every Friday night. I see me teaching our daughter how to shoot a gun, and hunt deer. I see you teaching her to throw a softball, and how to do a toe-touch. I see you teaching her how to put on make up. I see me sitting at the kitchen table, cleaning my gun as her first boyfriend comes to pick her up for a date. I see me walking her down the isle. But most of all...most of all, I see us, Kristen. Us. Together. Going through all of this together."

"Stop!" I sob, throwing my hands up to cover my face and trying to breathe through the pain. "Stop! Okay? Stop. Please. I know it's my fault that you don't get any of this. That you don't get to be the over protective southern dad. That you don't get to live in the big house with a family of your own. That you don't get a wife to love, and a child to hug at night. Okay? I get it. But do you know what I see when I go to bed? Do you? I get to relive that accident every night. I get to relive killing my own baby every night. I get to relive seeing you hate me and blame me every night. At least you don't have that on your shoulders. You don't have to live with the fact that you killed your own child!" I scream, and lean forward as I pull my knees up to hug them as I sob.