The Awakening

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

                My befuddled brain registers a strange noise, and I am slightly unsettled. Even though I'm trying to make sense of my thoughts, I can't seem to make any. Any thought that pops in to my head is random, and makes no sense.

                I struggle to move something, anything. But I can't. My hands are stiff, my eyes are glued together, and my mouth is dry and mummy-like.

                I hear the shuffling of papers, and a pen scratching.

                "She should be fine..." The voice says, and then slowly fades out.

                The world fades out.

                I fade out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                "Princess, I'm sorry, Daddy will be home soon, I'm just watching after someone very special to me. Ok?" A man's voice resonates throughout my head. "No, Daddy is fine. Daddy is just worried about this special person....Yes, baby girl, Daddy promises to be back soon. I'll be back before your recital. I love you....big hugs, and lots of kisses, Sweetie. Bye."

                The man moves closer to me, and I hear his breathing become heavier.

                "Sweetheart, please. Please, just come back to me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                The heavy feeling of something moving in a constant pace on my chest, forcing me deeper into the uncomfortable platform that I'm laying on becomes so much that I mentally become aware of my surroundings, and I know that something is wrong.

                My breathing is labored, my chest is aching, and I feel like I'm about to die.

                My shoulder twitches, and the weight is immediately gone.

                "Kris?" A broken, deep voice whispers. "Kris, are you awake?"

                A gentle caress on my cheek makes a weird sensation erupt in my stomach.

                "Kristen?" The manly voice whispers again. "If you can hear me, give me a sign. Please." The word sounds torn from him.

                He sounds so heartbroken, and I want to give him what he wants. I want to make him happy, so I try to move my fingers, I try to open my eyes, I try to do anything for him...

                Nothing. I can't move anything. I can't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isaiah's POV:

                She moved. I was asleep, but she moved. I know she did. Because it was one of those sleeps where you're still aware. You can still hear everything, you can still feel the cloth moving against your face. It's like you're in a coma, like Kristen. But I can wake up....unlike Kristen.

                She isn't waking up. The doctors said that she should've been awake by now. We don't know exactly what happened, but they think it was something to do with all of the stress, and the terror, and severe blunt trauma to the back of her head. Thinking about how scared she must have been makes me feel terrible. I feel so bad for everything that's happened to her. She didn't deserve this. I don't know why she ran away, but I know it was my fault somehow. It had to be. Because she didn't run away until I started talking to my daughter.