Visitors

"There's somebody here to see you Ms- I mean Kristen." Alison says over my phone.

Giggling, I tell her to send them in. Standing, I straighten my skirt against my legs, and walk around to the other side of my desk, feeling a faint dizziness but pushing it away to the back of my mind. After a few minutes to nobody walking in, I turn around to pick up my phone and call Alison to see if they actually made their way back here, I hear somebody clear their throat. As I turn around, I look down at my skirt again to make sure that it looks okay. Never wear such a short skirt again, Kristen, you're too self-conscious, I tell myself. Looking back up, the breath is knocked out of me. Standing in my doorway is my beautiful grandmother in her beat up old wheelchair. Her short silver hair is curly, and frizzed up all over her head, and her signature bright red lip stick looks like a three year old put it on her. Her clothes are mismatched, and her shoes didn't look like they were all the way on her feet. I wanted to smile at my crazy grandma, but I was frozen. Because the person pushing my grandma...the person standing directly behind her looking like a cowboy angel...was the man who, three years ago...meant the world to me, and more.

Looking at him brings back so many old feelings. I can feel the heat rush straight to my face as I remember all the nights that we spent together, soaking in each other's bodies...taking away what nobody else could ever have. My heart speeds up, and my breath falters and catches in my throat.

"Kristen..." His deep voice whispers, and I can see in his eyes that he's having the same reaction at seeing me.

"Hi Dyllan." I try to say confidently, but my voice only coming out in a whisper. I clear my throat and my voice comes out a bit stronger this time. "How've you been?"

"I've been good." He says, his deep voice resonating throughout the room. "Memaw here was telling everyone that she wanted to come see her favorite grandbaby, but nobody could take off but me."

"Thank you...you didn't have to though, I could've taken off to come see her." I say, smiling at my Memaw. "Hey Memaw, how you been? I'm sorry I haven't been around in a while."

She smiles at me, and beckons me forward with her right hand. I slowly walk over, looking up and into Dyllan's eyes for a moment, and my footsteps falter and I trip, almost falling on my face. I look back at my grandma and come up in front of her and bend down, making sure that I keep my knees together to keep from flashing the two of them.

She reaches up and places her hand on my cheek, "Beautiful." She whispers, her eyes shining.

Blushing, I look down at my lap. "Thanks, Memaw." I whisper.

"She's right, you know. You look amazing." Dyllan whispers, looking only at my face like the respectful man he was raised to be. "I thought maybe..." He trails off.

"What? You thought that I'd look like utter crap once I moved up here after we...broke up?" I asked boldly.

"No, not at all." He answers immediately, and I smile slightly when I see the blood rush to his face, despite the sad look that enters his eyes.

"You look really good too, you know." I tell him, and I'm not lying. His skin is just as deeply tanned as ever, his bright green eyes still as shiny and brilliant as they've always been, and his physique...mmm, don't even get me started on his tall, muscular body...I know all too well just what was behind that tight green shirt that brought out his eyes, and those loose blue jeans that grew just a bit tighter around his butt and...other things.

"It was hard after we...split up. But...I've gotten used to not having you around anymore." He whispers. "But anyways...Memaw couldn't stop saying your name the whole way here. She was really excited, kept bouncing up and down in her seat and everything. Longest drive of my life." He laughs.