Deadly Lies- Chapter 14

"-Fiore-Fletcher-Foe-Gram-" I stepped into line behind Marissa Foe and Danny Gray took his place behind me. Time ticked by, second by second, graduation practice wasn't helping my reeling mind. Leaning against the auditoriums cool marble walls, I counted the minutes, desperate to reach for my phone and call John. What had happened to the couple from last night? When I had awoken this morning, there wasn't anything on the news about a murder.

            After a tedious two hours of walking up and down the auditorium, they finally allowed us to leave for the day. Grabbing my bag, I noticed Jenny and Cameron standing by the doors, Michael scowling beside them.

            "Sophie!" Michael cried the moment I was in hearing distance. "Save me!" He latched onto my arm with a steel grip.

            "Shut up." Cameron smirked, clapping Michael on the back. "You're just jealous."

            "Ha-ha!" Michael let go of my arm and faced his stepbrother. While the two boy squared off, Jenny detached herself from Cameron and bounced over to my side. Looping her arm through mine, she barraged me with questions about yesterdays court case.

            "I guess I can finally cross off number five from my bucket list, being a witness to a murder case." I laughed, as we walked through the school. Jenny laughed alongside me all the while sneaking peeks behind us. The boys didn't take any notice, they're debate was still running strong.

            "You never told me what you think of Cameron and me." She whispered, and for a second I thought she was joking, but there was no humor to be found in her pleading eyes.  

            "What do you mean?" I asked scrunching my eyebrows. "I told you countless times that you guys are perfect together."    

            "Do you really think so?" She questioned taking another look back.            

            "What's going on? Did he do something?"

            "No, no, everything's perfect..." She said smiling one of the brightest smiles I'd ever seen."Yesterday, he took-" She stopped talking as soon as we heard the boys behind us. We turned around the face them.      

            "-no, that would be impossible. There is no way you could stuff a turkey into a turkey without-" Cam stopped talking and the thoughtful look on his face disappeared the moment his soft brown eyes fell on Jenny. 

            "Well hello there beautiful stranger, have we met before?" He asked bowing, his voice lithe. Jenny let go off my arm and stepped closer to Cameron, I suppressed a laugh as Michael, who was standing behind Cameron. The step brother was pretending to vomit behind Cam. Pressing my lips together, we listened to the bantering couple as we walked towards the front gate.

            "Why of course," Jenny snorted, slapping Cameron on the shoulder, "only in your dreams."

            "But I don't have nightmares." He said with a winning smile. Michael snorted beside me, obviously not impressed. I, on the other hand, was unable to hold back my laughter.

            "Are you asking for one?" Jenny asked, crossing her arms over her chest.    

            "Of course not," Cameron said as we stopped at the entrance of the school. "Besides, you're a dream come true." He said wrapping his arms around Jenny and pressing her small body to his.

            "Nu-uh! That's not gonna save you lover boy." Jenny laughed into his chest, trying to squirm away. Looking around the entrance, I had a feeling John wouldn't be there- he wasn't.