Deadly Lies- Chapter 13

Note: Hey guys, I'm really sorry, but this chapter is going to be a little shorter than per usual. I'm slightly sick at the moment, so please forgive me, I promise the next upload will be much longer! Hope you enjoy!

-Melissa. :]

          A little over an hour ago John and I were standing at his mother's dug up grave, ransacked by evil. Now, we were sitting at the dinner table. Heaps of food were placed onto our plates, John and my family happily chattering away. Looking up, I noticed my father's eyes drawn to me.

            "How are you, honey?" Dad asked all the while shoveling a forkful of spaghetti into his mouth.

            "Happy." I laughed, looking around the table as though I didn't catch the real question.

            "No," He said placing his fork down, "how was the um- trial? I'm sorry I couldn't make it-"

            "Oh that," I said swatting the air, my voice shaking. John dropped his hand to my thigh, allowing me to feed off of his energy, "it went great. We totally nailed them!"

            "Yeah, you're mother told me. What did you think of it, John?"

            "Sophie did a splendid job, sir." John said and I put my hand under the table, curling my fingers around his.

            "Do you think-Ding" Father didn't get a chance to finish his sentence.

            "Desserts ready!" Mom chimed, jumping from the table and was a step away from running into the kitchen.

            Standing up, I helped gather the dirty dishes and my mother pushed John back into his seat when he offered to help as well. As soon as the table was empty, mother swept in, placing a beautiful pie onto the table. My mouth salivated just looking at the delicious hunk of sugar before us.    

            "Dig in!" Mom chirped putting a slice of pie onto each of our plates.

            After two slices of pie, I felt like another bite would put me over the edge and force me to self detonate. I collapsed into the chair, willing the backrest not to break. Looking around the table I realized I wasn't the only one suffering from overeating. Putting a hand onto my bulging stomach, an involuntary groan escaped my mouth. Everyone stopped talking and turned to look at me.

            "That was absolutely delicious, Misses Gram." John said, saving me from any embarrassment.

            "I'm glad you enjoyed it." Mom said smiling. "You should come over for dinner more often, we certainly wouldn't mind."

            "Thank you very much for the kind offer." John said, mirroring her smile.

            "Oh stop with the formalities." Dad smiled and sat up to take another bite of pie. "We're family, no?"

            Finally, after one more slice of pie fell onto our plates, I had to call it quits. Scrambling up from my chair, I gaped as both men ate their slices without a single second wasted.

            "I'm going to bed." I said and caught John's eye.

            "Once again, thank you very much for inviting me over for such a delicious feast." John said standing up as well.

            "You're leaving so soon?" Mom asked watching him.

            "I'm sorry, but I still have to review some cases before tomorrow's meeting."