Deadly Lies- Chapter 19

"I'm sorry, but as much as I would like to help you, I don't want to be stepping on the LT's toes." Officer Beckett said, his voice unease.

            "I assure you, Jonathan wouldn't mind," I said pulling on my jeans and held the phone up between my cheek and shoulder, "the only reason I'm not asking him myself is because I know he's  swamped with the serial killer and other matters and I don't want to be in the way."

            There was a minute of silence which only stretched longer by the second. For a moment I thought he had hang up, but then I heard the unmistakable sounds of life, a long drawn sigh.

            "I'll see what I can do and I'll call you back."

            "Thank you so much, I truly appreciate your help." Officer Beckett grumbled something about him getting in trouble and hung up. Getting dressed, I shoved my phone into my pocket and walked back to the living room. My parents were still glued to the television, curled up on the sofa, this time watching a comedy show.

            "I'll be back soon." I said leaning over the couch and they looked up at me.

            "Where are you going so early?" Dad asked muting the TV and sat up.

            "Jenny, Cam and I are all going to the mall and then we're going to probably catch a movie." I said, hating how easy it was for me to let the lie slip out.

            "Okay, but please don't be late for dinner," Dad said settling back onto the couch, "it's not every day we can eat dinner together."    

            "I know and don't worry." I said, giving them both a quick kiss, hoping that I wasn't overdoing it.

            Not knowing what to do with myself while waiting for Officer Beckett to call back, I decided to walk down the street and review the plan. With Beckett's help I was going to get permission to speak with Laverne. I knew I had to find his Achilles heel in order for him to talk, and I had a feeling that that was Sam. Although cruel, I was dead set on retrieving some kind of information about who this killer was. When I was about ten blocks away from home, my phone rang.

            "Good news?" I asked.  

            "You have an hour." He said and I could tell he wasn't comfortable with the situation.

            "Thank you so much, I give you my word, Jonathan won't know a single thing. And if he does find out, I'll never mention you, I promise."

            Although Officer Beckett seemed less than enthusiastic about me going behind Johns back, in the end we would both be doing something productive. Stopping at a newsstand, I bought the latest newspaper and spotted a yellow cab drifting by lonesomely along the road. When I told the driver my destination his face was a picture of confusion. Nevertheless, he rolled up his window, blasted the ac and we were traveling down the highway to Rikers Island.

            The cab dropped me off a little less than a block away from the penitentiary. Before I got out of the car, I took down the man's number when he agreed to drive me home as well. As I did when I was with John, I walked up to the guard booth, a lanky middle aged man came out to greet me from behind the barbed wire.

            "Can I help you?" He asked, his hand resting on the baton at his hip.

            "I'm here to visit an inmate." The guards eyes narrowed for a moment and then he nodded.

            "Come with me." I followed the man to the booth and this time around, I took a look around. There were tall towers standing in, what I assumed to be, the middle of the prison. Squinting, I saw tiny figures moving about in the towers peek, it wouldn't have surprised me to know they were armed. Walking into the booth, the guard had me sign in and gave me a visitors pass.