Deadly Lies- Chapter 12

"But-but that's impossible!" I choked, horrified and watched, feeling every single nerve ending in my body contract, as the dress fell out of the John's hands.

            "Wait here." He whispered, his voice so dark, that shivers were sent racing up my spine. Never had I heard such murder in his voice. Curling my fingers, I held a sob in my throat. My heart aching for Jonathan as he began to pace from my bed to the window, and back.

            I watched quietly, knowing no amount of comforting words was ever going to help him. Instead, I ran to him. Clasping my arms around him, I squeezed his neck to the point of suffocation. For a few seconds he stood tense in my arms, unmoving. Pulling away, I put my right hand to his hard chest and took his right hand in my left. Placing his hand against my heart, his dark eyes flashed to mine. Wrapping a free arm around my waist, he brought our bodies together and dipped his lips to my cheek. Planting a soft kiss, he pulled away and I watched him climb out of my window.

            Seconds later, I heard the doorbell ring. I listened as mother shuffled to the door and greeted John with warm words. If only she knew.

            "-what a lovely surprise." I heard moms voice through the door. "Sophie, there's someone here to see you!"

            Closing my eyes, I let out a deep breath and looked into my mirror. Smoothing out the clump of hair on my head, I smiled at the girl staring back at me. Her lips pulled up robotically, but the vacant look in her eyes scared me to my core. Opening the door, I heard the two of them talking like a old friends.

            "John!" I gasped, surprised that no matter how many times I've seen him, he still took my breath away. A genuine smile was on his lips, my own halfhearted smile lifted into a real one. I walked into his arms, laughing as he wrapped his arms around me.

            "Are you guys going somewhere?" Mom asked, smiling. A kitchen towel was draped over her shoulder.   

            "I wanted to take Sophie out for a little celebration, if that's okay with you Misses Gram." John said slipping his hand in mine.

            "Of course, of course!" Mom said shooing us towards the door. "Just make sure to be back by dinnertime. I'm making Sophie's favorite, chicken stroganoff with spaghetti."   

            "And your special sauce?" I asked, but my mind was light years away from the thought of food. 

            "Mhmm!" She said bobbing her head.

            "I'll bring Sophie back in time." John said with a beautiful reassuring smile.

            "And you bring yourself as well, mister." Mom laughed, pinning him with her eyes.

            As soon as we were out the door, we walked in silence to his sleek Ducati Streetfighter S motorcycle. John handed me his matching black helmet and I put it on. Clambering onto the bike, I settled down for the ride. John got on after me and I wrapped my arms around his waist. Thinking over the rules of riding as a passenger, I squeezed John tighter as the motorcycle rumbled to life.

            "You ready?" John asked over the powerful noise.   

            "Yeah!" I yelled and John nodded. Kicking off the kickstand, he revved the engine and we were moving. Pressing my head to his shoulder, a familiar thrill began to worm its way over my body as the wind rushed over us. The roar in my ears and scenery flying by, helped me momentarily forget the horrible findings in my room. Closing my eyes for a second, I clutched onto John tighter as I lost my sense of sight. Dimming sunlight piercing my closed eyelids, warming my face.