Deadly Lies- Chapter 17

My mouth had gone dry within seconds and in the same moment, mom bounced into the kitchen. My mother happily chirped away, unaware to the impending meltdown occurring in my mind. Sam had escape days ago and his missing presence was only reported this morning. A chill swirled its way down my spine as I watched John act at ease, chatting with my mother. It scared me that if I hadn't known the pressing situation, his joyful demeanor wouldn't have struck me odd. When we had finished dinner, which consisted of me force feeding myself, John excused himself outside for a phone call and mom and I finished cleaning up.

            By the time he had come back, my mom had set out three cups of tea and pastries. Under different circumstances, her eagerness would've been contagious, but neither John nor I were able to maintain our deceptive image.

            "My apologies, Mrs. Gram, but I must go," John said running a hand through his hair and gave a coy smile, "duty calls." 

            "Oh, that's a shame." She muttered, embracing him in a hug. Johns look told me all he had to say and I nodded. Walking John to the door, he placed a gentle kiss upon my cheek and we said our goodbyes. I walked back into the kitchen and ate a couple of the pastries while mother told me about her day. Although I tried to listen, my mind was occupied with other thoughts.

            Everything began to blur together as my mind worked every single angle it could find as an explanation for the dilemma named Sam. The thought that he escaped in order to help us, I found to be rather farfetched. Was he possibly looking for vengeance for his father? Whatever the explanation was, my bones rattled at the thought. Walking into my room, I wasn't surprised to find John pacing the small length of the room, furiously texting away on his phone. I shut the door behind me and walked towards him.

            "Do we know anything else about Sam's disappearance?" I asked.

            "No," He said putting his phone away and stopped pacing, "but they're going to send the paperwork over now."

            "Are you going back to the precinct?" I asked sitting down on the bed and crossed my legs.

            "Yes, I'll call you as soon as I know something." He said cupping my cheek. Leaning into his touch, a smile graced his lips.

            "Why does it feel like we've brought a stick to a gun fight?" I asked, closing my eyes.   

            Pressing my body to his, John filled my mind with soothing words before departing, with the promise of returning tomorrow with news. Looking to occupy myself, I took a long shower, filling my head with trivial song lyrics in order to keep my thoughts from straying. I wrapped myself up in a towel and walked to my room. On the my way, I heard my father's voice floating through my parents bedroom. Peeking into their room, so only my head stuck out, I greeted them both and escaped to my room before I was sucked into a conversation. I put on some clean clothes and crawled into bed. Taking my phone off the bedside cabinet, there were two texts, waiting for me. One from Jenny and the other from Michael. You should've came with us to Cam's house! I replied to Jenny with an apology for skipping out on them and read the next message. Why do you insist on leaving me to suffer with them?! I couldn't help but smile and sent another apology, this time, to Michael.  

            I don't remember when I had fallen asleep, but sometime during the night I had awoken with a terrible clawing sensation emanating from my chest. It felt as though a thousand needles were trying to burst free from my chest. Grabbing at my sleeping shirt, my heart was beating frantically, all the while my eyes were trying to see in the pitch black darkness in my room. Foolishly, I tried to see in the dark by opening my eyes wider, but it was to no avail. There was no moonlight streaming in from my window nor was there any other light. For a second, I wasn't even sure if I was in my room. Throwing the covers away from my body, I scrambled out of the bed and my feet brushed against something warm and wet. Still clutching my heart, I stood up and slipped on the same wet liquid.